Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-13 18:32:07

dtd

mousepad -- again ?? well yes

As always I point out I am using FreeBSD 10.1 and I think I am the only one with this issue. So it's really a FYI to the developers.  The environment is:

Name           : xfce
   Version        : 4.12_1
   Installed on   : Tue Apr 12 20:28:52 2016 EDT
   Origin         : x11-wm/xfce4
   Architecture   : freebsd:10:*
   Prefix         : /usr/local

My woes started with mucking with .config/dconf/user. Yes, yes don't do that smile My original post was to suggest that mousepad is much too tightly bound to xfce. Well it still is. I had to do a complete reinstall because adding one application broke firefox and thunderbird. What I ended up doing was to uninstall xfce plus all dependencies, removing all the orphaned programs and updating whatever remained.

After that, the bug (mousepad will only use the system font), remained. I tried deleting .conf and going with the default. No joy sad

For now I am using leafpad  for a vim replacement and living with the too large font to get block selection and the very nice file type highlighting that mousepad offers when doing things SQL and programming. I like it better than

I hope the GTK3 conversion will be an opportunity to unbundle mousepad from xfce. This really is a good (perhaps IMO the best) of the simple text editors.  I like it better than geany and scite  which I use and numerous others tried and discarded. That's why they are called PCs.

As a final thought, I know my desktop problem will remain until I clear all of /usr/local (The FreeBSD-ness) and perhaps beyond. I have a laptop with the "same" configuration that works fine mousepad-wise. I will start anew with 4.14.

Last edited by dtd (2016-04-13 18:40:10)

#2 2016-04-13 20:13:56

ToZ
Administrator

Re: mousepad -- again ?? well yes

dtd wrote:

My original post was to suggest that mousepad is much too tightly bound to xfce. Well it still is.

Actually, its not. You can install and run it in non-Xfce environments. Its only dependencies are gtksourceview, dbus-glib and dconf.

Is this you're bug report? If so, perhaps you mean un-bind mousepad from dbus for saving its settings? Seems like the developer is considering it. However, I deleted my ~/.config/dconf directory while not logged in, logged in and mousepad was able to recreate its gsettings. I'm running Arch Linux. Perhaps this is just an issue with FreeBSD?

I had to do a complete reinstall because adding one application broke firefox and thunderbird.

Which application? Mousepad? I don't think installing mousepad would break firefox/thunderbird. That doesn't sound right.

As always I point out I am using FreeBSD 10.1 and I think I am the only one with this issue. So it's really a FYI to the developers.

Perhaps. The bug tracker is the best place for this though.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-06-26 17:35:37

dtd

Re: mousepad -- again ?? well yes

I was not clear. I had to reinstall xfce because of library dependencies, cause by me, but not related to xfce. My theory something remains in the user .config files or something else left behind. I did not uninstall xorg.

Board footer