Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-19 02:17:29

Romane
Website

[SOLVED] Thunar: shortcut icon size

Was wondering how one may reduce the size of the shortcut icon on folders in Thunar. The default size is too big for my taste.

Have Googled with a variety of search keywords, and the closest that could come was that there is a line in $HOME/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/thunar.xml which reads:
<property name="shortcuts-icon-size" type="string" value="THUNAR_ICON_SIZE_SMALLEST"/>

Have also gone through the last 6 or so pages of this forum, but my patience ran out before going further, and cannot see a search capacity (possibly because is right under my eyes, maybe).

My logical side says that this (<property name...) may be the right place. My other side says that there is perhaps another place where the upper-case setting is configured. Beyond this, am stumped.

Can it be done, and if so, where and how?

My thanks for your assistance.

Romane

Last edited by Romane (2016-04-19 13:40:40)

#2 2016-04-19 07:43:37

ozjd
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Thunar: shortcut icon size

I guess you mean when the view is set to Icons. In Thunar right click and there are options to zoom in and out, they change the size.

#3 2016-04-19 12:18:00

Romane
Website

Good morning ozjd

ozjd wrote:

I guess you mean when the view is set to Icons. In Thunar right click and there are options to zoom in and out, they change the size.

Many thanks for your reply.

Icon size itself is not at issue - this is easy to change either by the means you describe, or by holding down the control key and rolling the mouse wheel over the directory; the effect is the same.

What I am wishing to change is the size of the arrow over-lay that sits on the bottom right-hand corner of any link, whether that to a folder, or a document etc. I have a preference for something, smaller, not something that is about one third the size of the icon.

Romane

#4 2016-04-19 13:09:53

ToZ
Administrator

The image files that are being used for this overlay are called emblem-symbolic-link and they should be in your icon theme's emblems folder. If you want to resize the overlay, you'll need to edit all of the these files in your icon theme's various emblems folders.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2016-04-19 13:36:55

Romane
Website

Good morning ToZ

ToZ wrote:

The image files that are being used for this overlay are called emblem-symbolic-link and they should be in your icon theme's emblems folder. If you want to resize the overlay, you'll need to edit all of the these files in your icon theme's various emblems folders.

I am not quite sure what you may mean about 'edit'. That said, time to experiment. I started by renaming all these files with a preceding underscore. pooof!! - no more overlay smile Then, working upwards in size, discovered that nothing below 32x32 would show.

So, with all of their names again beginning with an underscore, began working downward, placing a link to the properly-named (no underscore) smaller size into the 32x32 directory. This worked, and the 16x16, or even the 8x8, is suited to my taste. And.... apart from renaming, all the right files are still in the right place, which makes my fastidious nature happy.

Once more I must thank you for showing me the easiest and best way to resolve a "problem".

With warm greetings

Romane

Last edited by Romane (2016-04-19 13:38:06)

Board footer