Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-31 14:32:33

kazakore

Thunar feature request- Restore old operation as a configurable option

Hi.

I have just upgraded from Ubuntu Studio 14.04 to 16.04 and thus from Thunar 1.6.3 to 1.6.10 and some of the basic operation has changed making it a far less smooth experience to that which I am used to.

Namely it is no longer possible to drag a selection of files from starting over the file, or over the filename field in List or Detailed List view. I always use Detailed list and this includes not working when on space with no text but falling within this field. This was possible with 1.6.3, where you would have to click a second time to drag a single file (so I can see some people may prefer the new way but to not leave the old method as an option in Preferences is really short-sighted!)

Then there is the fact you can no longer do a rmb mouse drag and get the context menu for copy/move/link/cancel. This is something I used more rarely but definitely use on occasion (mostly when wanting to make a simple link quickly, now you either have to use the command line, or right click and send link to Desktop and then Cut and Paste it from the Desktop to your required location, Really clunky!) If you could add a slider to select time before context menu appears and you can still drag (I would guess the old operation was somewhere in the region of 0.2s and was fine to me, new default could be 0.0s and be like current.)

Finally didn't it used to be a user option where to have the filename column auto-extend as you navigated folders? This seems to have gone with it always doing so. I admit I do generally prefer it to extend to fit full filename in but this in itself makes the first mentioned problem even more annoying as it often pushes the space dragging can be started from off the edge of my window.

In all these changes have forced me to downgrade to 1.6.3 package used in 14.04 as although it has bugs I know and am used to these bugs and the basic operation of the program is far far better!

#2 2016-05-31 20:07:18

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Thunar feature request- Restore old operation as a configurable option

kazakore wrote:

Namely it is no longer possible to drag a selection of files from starting over the file, or over the filename field in List or Detailed List view. I always use Detailed list and this includes not working when on space with no text but falling within this field. This was possible with 1.6.3, where you would have to click a second time to drag a single file (so I can see some people may prefer the new way but to not leave the old method as an option in Preferences is really short-sighted!)

Can't remember the functionality in 1.6.3, so I fired up an old xubuntu 14.04 vm to check and you are correct. There has been a change.

Then there is the fact you can no longer do a rmb mouse drag and get the context menu for copy/move/link/cancel. This is something I used more rarely but definitely use on occasion (mostly when wanting to make a simple link quickly, now you either have to use the command line, or right click and send link to Desktop and then Cut and Paste it from the Desktop to your required location, Really clunky!) If you could add a slider to select time before context menu appears and you can still drag (I would guess the old operation was somewhere in the region of 0.2s and was fine to me, new default could be 0.0s and be like current.)

This works for me provided that I right-click drag and drop from one directory to another in compact mode list mode. It doesn't work in detailed list mode. However, it doesn't work for me on 1.6.3 in detailed list mode either.

Finally didn't it used to be a user option where to have the filename column auto-extend as you navigated folders? This seems to have gone with it always doing so. I admit I do generally prefer it to extend to fit full filename in but this in itself makes the first mentioned problem even more annoying as it often pushes the space dragging can be started from off the edge of my window.

While in detailed list mode, go to View>Configure Columns. There is an "Automatically expand columns..." checkbox there,

If you want to pursue these issues, it would be best to create a Thunar bug report.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-06-11 07:13:08

kazakore

ToZ wrote:

If you want to pursue these issues, it would be best to create a Thunar bug report.

When I have more time and better internet I will do this, thank you. For now I have downgraded to 1.6.3 and the drag select is working but I think the theme may be conflicting with the rmb drag (according to some other reports I read but I haven't fully diagnosed it.)  Always find it weird to use the bug reporting system for what feels more like a feature request (even when it's lost functionality)...

#4 2016-06-11 19:19:35

MountainDewManiac

kazakore wrote:

Always find it weird to use the bug reporting system for what feels more like a feature request (even when it's lost functionality)...

Some would consider the removal of a thing's feature, when that feature is used by at least some of the thing's users, to be a bug. Flip a coin as to whether that would properly be considered a bug of the thing... or the developer roll .

Regardless, that is the accepted procedure for submitting your report to the powers that be. I suppose you could also subscribe to the developer's email list and discuss things there in a more direct venue if you so wish. I do not know whether this would be more or less effective than doing things in the accepted fashion.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#5 2016-06-14 02:42:30

kazakore

Account created and bug/request added smile

#6 2016-06-28 06:13:59

kazakore

OK I have been coping with this bug for a while but since posting on the Ubuntu forums I have found more information. I think it is related to this bug report as I am using 1.6.3 from Trusty and the version of libglib2.0-0 installed if 2.48, higher than the 2.41 it claims the issues first appeared. There were patches released for Utopic and Vivid but the packages are no longer hosted by Ubuntu so I can't try using the debs from there to install instead.

Is there any where I could get the patched debs from to see if I can cure the MIME types/default program issue?

Files I needed to download and hold back were:
thunar-data
libthunarx-2-0
thunar

I know 1.6.3 have the functionality I want and that 1.6.10 does not. I don't know about and versions inbetween but I'd be willing to test them and see if they make me happy. But preferably not installing and compiling by source as I'm on the road and rarely have good internet for reading up and learning new processes or chasing down where issues I've come across are caused...

Board footer