Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-11 11:59:20

kinamit

Not detecting monitor until unplugged and reinserted

My system is the latest Manjaro XFCE. I have an Intel NUC5i5MYHE, with 2 Mini DisplayPort ports.

Neither of my monitors has a DP socket, so I'm using 1 DP-->VGA adapter and 1 DP --> HDMI adapter, with each monitor plugged into one Mini DP port on the NUC. I need to have an extended desktop.

Problem:
The system doesn't recognize the monitor attached with the HDMI adapter unless I reattach it AFTER startup.
Even then, it doesn't use that monitor automatically. If that is the only monitor attached, it stays black.
If the other monitor is connected, the XFCE display options dialog asking which monitor configuration to use appears in 2 identical windows. I have to click the dual monitor option on both of them, and only then is the HDMI monitor activated.
That same monitor works fine at startup if I attach its VGA port to the computer, but I want to use HDMI because I think the resolution is better.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

#2 2016-06-11 13:46:34

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Not detecting monitor until unplugged and reinserted

Hello and welcome.

This sounds like it __might__ be related to bug 11107. There is a xfce4-settings-blank-screen-fix AUR package that has a patch from the bug report included that fixes the issue for many people. You can try that package to see if it helps.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-06-12 08:20:15

kinamit

Thank you for the suggestion.

Unfortunately the package didn't install for me--I get a message that it conflicts with xfce4-settings, and then the installer chooses "no" for the prompt about whether to replace xfce4-settings rather than letting me choose. Then the installation process ends.

Any thoughts?

Sorry if I seem clueless. I'm sure an IT professional would instantly know some command-line solution for this, or some config file to edit.
I'm not--that's why I'm using Manjaro!

#4 2016-06-12 12:08:38

ToZ
Administrator

Unfortunately I don't use Manjaro and don't know the specifics. I do know it is based on Arch, so the AUR packages should work. Perhaps you can ask in the Manjaro forums to the procedure to get the package installed. And yes, it will remove the current xfce4-settings package and replace it with this one.

The Arch way of doing this is to download the snapshot, uncompress it, enter the directory and run "makepkg -sri". When prompted, say yes to remove the existing package. To reverse it, simply install the regular package again.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2016-06-14 03:49:27

kinamit

Thanks! That installed the package. After a restart the situation improved very slightly. The monitor connected with the DP-->HDMI cord still isn't detected unless it's attached after startup, but now it's detected a little more quickly.

Board footer