Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-31 22:57:15

Leinnan

Some XFMPC test

What do you think about it? Are changes going in right direction?
Old one on left, with my changes on right
http://i.imgur.com/pLxDRv5.png

#2 2016-08-01 00:02:36

MountainDewManiac

Re: Some XFMPC test

I don't really see any difference. Just that you have moved two icons/buttons from the left side to the right, and that there is a piece of information missing from the right window (the characters "autorstwa," which I assume might spell a word in your native language?). But nothing of substance. Or am I missing something?

I do not use that application, but I suspect that if I did, I would not pay much attention as to which version I had. Unless, of course, that "autorstwa" is some kind of important information - in which case I would prefer the version on the left. Otherwise... Flip a coin, as they say. I am not generally (overly) concerned with where little-used "buttons" are placed. However, if the play/pause button or another one that might be used several times during one use of the application had been moved, I (speaking again as the hypothetical "I" who would be using that application in the first place) might complain.

Oh, wait, I just found another difference: The version on the left appears to be able to display one more line of data (song) than the one on the right. Therefore, I am voting for the version on the left. It always annoys me greatly when a developer makes some pointless "style" change that has the sole effect of causing the application to not be able to display as much of the information that I am actually interested in.

BtW, can you tell me something about this application? Specifically... I came (years ago) to linux from the Microsoft OS world, and when I used a Microsoft OS my music application of choice was Media Monkey (Gold - the paid version). The only linux application that seemed to have even a fraction of the features and usability of Media Monkey (and even it was not even close, really) was... I forget the name, lol, but it was one that required the Qt stuff from the KDE DE. Since I stopped bothering to install those a few years back, I have basically been using Thunar as my music "catalog" application and playing the music with VLC. Not the most elegant solution, I will admit. So... I am open to new (to me) music playing/cataloging applications, and will probably install XFMPC in the future so that I can try it. But a new version of the Xfce flavor of my distro (Mint) has just been released, so I will not be installing any new applications for a week or so. I just looked in my DE's menu and it appears that the only music playing applications that I have are Banshee and Quod Libet (IDK whether they were preinstalled with my distro or if I added them at some point), and I just couldn't manage to come up with enough liking for either to actually bother using one of them roll . The Thunar/VLC option does not have the features that Media Monkey had (has, I assume) - but it also does not have bushels of things that I not only do not wish to have, but do not wish to even see.

Thank you for developing an application for linux. If I ever decide to use it on a full time basis (meaning that it is what I am looking for in such an application) and IF I ever get to the point where I can spend a cent on anything other than life's necessities, I would be happy to donate an amount comparable to what I originally paid to upgrade Media Monkey from the free version to the paid gold version. IIRC, I did not do that because I needed the extra features - I did so because I felt that the application was as good (for me) as I could have found in a commercially-produced product and I was lucky enough at the time to have the means to so pay.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2016-08-01 09:52:25

Leinnan

There are some small, but in my opinion important for more "professional" look changes. "Autorstwa" mean "Made by". So after removing and moving some elements there are still this same amount of informations for user.  Now I added more option after RMB on status icon(before there were only quit button).
LAvIHvB.jpg

#4 2016-08-01 14:32:41

ToZ
Administrator

Always good to see work being done on Xfce and it's components. Have you given any thought to porting it to GTK3 - this is the direction that Xfce is headed.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2016-08-01 15:13:14

Leinnan

I know it and I will want to port it to GTK3 but I didn't know many about Vala. For now I am thinking about moving project to GTKMM(of course 3.x version smile ), but I will need help with using libmpdclient in C++. I just don't now how to start using it in C++.

#6 2016-08-01 17:04:50

ungutknut

I'm glad someone's finally working on XFMPC again.

Any plans on adding a "rearrange order" function? Only thing that keeps me from using XFMPC is the missing opportunity to change the order in the queue...

#7 2016-08-01 17:07:16

Leinnan

Most important for now is get all function from old version in new program. Then we can think about adding new features.

Edit@ I think that I will be slowly stop working with old version and give all attention for the new version in C++. This is how it looks for now(from the left: old one, with my tweaks, new player in C++ with GTK3):
http://i.imgur.com/qhAvbiF.png
BTW Do you know how to get behavior and look of the progress bar like in the old program?

Last edited by Leinnan (2016-08-01 21:19:51)

#8 2016-08-04 14:24:12

ungutknut

Leinnan wrote:

Most important for now is get all function from old version in new program. Then we can think about adding new features.

Of course. That makes sense. However, thanks for keeping XFMPC alive!

#9 2016-08-06 13:28:15

Leinnan

Board footer