Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-02 17:48:18

rps2

Window resize popup not appearing

I've just noticed that when resizing a window, I no longer get the little popup that shows me the current size. I don't know if this has anything to do with enabling the compositor or not. I needed to enable the compositor as there's all kinds of weirdness going on with my Intel-driven display such as xterm windows flashing back and forth between the last line I typed in and the previous one, other windows flashing between previous contents and current, etc.

This is on a 64-bit Fedora 24, fully updated, XFCE 4.12.1

#2 2016-09-02 21:48:48

ColdBoot

Re: Window resize popup not appearing

Not sure about the popup you are referring to but, have you tried Compton instead of the built-in compositor?

#3 2016-09-02 22:20:54

ozjd
Website

Has this happened in every application or just some? The only pop-up I recall is the cursor changing to an arrow. It still works for me in Korora (which is really Fedora).

BTW Compton isn't in the Fedora repos. There is a COPR for it though.

#4 2016-09-06 17:25:53

rps2

Sorry about the delay in responding...was out of town.

The primary application I see this happening in is xfce4-terminal (which I use a LOT, currently running 0.6.90), but pretty much any window. It used to be that you would drag the window border around and a small pop up would appear in the middle of the window telling you the current size. The numbers shown would change as you drug the border around. That pop-up isn't appearing now.

I tried it on another machine at home and it's not appearing in xfce4-terminal, but I DID see it appear (briefly) for another app (can't remember which one though, unfortunately).

#5 2016-09-06 22:17:33

ozjd
Website

rps2 wrote:

Sorry about the delay in responding...was out of town.

The primary application I see this happening in is xfce4-terminal (which I use a LOT, currently running 0.6.90), but pretty much any window. It used to be that you would drag the window border around and a small pop up would appear in the middle of the window telling you the current size. The numbers shown would change as you drug the border around. That pop-up isn't appearing now.

I tried it on another machine at home and it's not appearing in xfce4-terminal, but I DID see it appear (briefly) for another app (can't remember which one though, unfortunately).

I don't remember seeing anything like that. How do you resize the window? You aren't using another WM or something like Compiz are you?

#6 2016-09-07 00:32:16

rps2

I am using xfwm4-4.12.3-3 on Fedora 24, 64-bit.

The resize should be able to be done on any window. Just put your mouse on, say, the right border until it turns into something that looks like ---->|, then hold down the left mouse button and drag the border to the right (or left) to widen (or narrow) the window. As I said, it used to be that as soon as you pressed down the left button, this little popup would appear showing the current dimensions. For an xterm, it would be something like "80x24" and as you drug the border to the right, it'd show "132x24" or whatever the size was at that time. For non-character-based windows like Chrome, it'd show the size in pixels.

Update: For giggles, I launched a regular xterm (NOT xfce4-terminal) from the command line and the popup appears on THAT window when I resize it as above. The popup does not appear on the normal xfce4-terminal as it used to (and it used to show up on most--if not all windows).

It's not a killer, just an annoyance.

#7 2016-09-07 01:01:38

ozjd
Website

Most themes don't have a window border that is big enough to grab so I just use ALT + right click to resize and don't see that message. I wonder if it is a xterm thing.

#8 2016-09-07 11:36:53

ColdBoot

ozjd wrote:

Most themes don't have a window border that is big enough to grab so I just use ALT + right click to resize and don't see that message. I wonder if it is a xterm thing.

No, because I see it when resizing Xfce terminal also. But I have an older version. Can't recall it ever appeared while resizing any other app though.

Compiz can be set to display window size while resizing so maybe what OP remembers is related to a machine on which it was installed?

Last edited by ColdBoot (2016-09-07 11:43:16)

#9 2016-09-07 22:14:03

ozjd
Website

I found an older version of Xfce I had in a vm and you're right that little message does appear. It doesn't in the latest version though. I wonder if that is something to do with the move from GTK2 to GTK3. Terminal 0.6.90 is the first in GTK3.

#10 2016-09-08 18:37:39

rps2

I don't think I installed Compiz before, but I may have. I don't recall. I'm pleased to know someone else can see what I'm seeing--albeit with an older implementation.

As I said, it's not a deal killer, but it is annoying. I have lots of workspaces and tons of xterms remoted to a bunch of machines I manage. It's nice to get them back into an 80-column width after I've grown them for something.

<rant>Dang! Another useful thing done away with or made far more complicated to access. I sure wish the developers would poll the actual users before they do this sort of thing.</rant>

Board footer