Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-09 19:12:36

Przemas

Notifications on Xfce?

So I think most of the things associated with Xfce are working on my machine smile . Certainly this DE is a bit different but manageable smile.

The only minor kink left are notifications. First of all - they work... but :

1. Some apps that invoke notification have unset buttons - either a blank one, or a button with "default" written on it. Is there a way to have something more "correct" - even a button with "ok" would be better.

2. Is there an applet that would provide notifications history? If I get 3-4 notifcations and after 10 seconds they disappear I don't see a way to get back to them and check them out.

#2 2016-10-09 20:58:02

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Notifications on Xfce?

Przemas wrote:

1. Some apps that invoke notification have unset buttons - either a blank one, or a button with "default" written on it. Is there a way to have something more "correct" - even a button with "ok" would be better.

Currently, xfce4-notifyd doesn't support the default button (source). You can create a bug report to suggest a change of the wording of the button and see what the developer thinks.

2. Is there an applet that would provide notifications history? If I get 3-4 notifcations and after 10 seconds they disappear I don't see a way to get back to them and check them out.

I believe this is on the developer's to do list.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-10-10 10:05:48

alcornoqui

Hi. For your second question, take a look at this AskUbuntu thread, they provide a hacky .bashrc solution (I think that might work outside of Ubuntu) and a PPA (thus Ubuntu-only, I'm afraid) with a "recent-notifications" package.

I haven't tried any of them, if you do, please share your experience.

There's a third answer there, with an even more hacky solution and a link deeper down the rabbit hole, that I won't read because real life.

Good luck!

#4 2016-10-11 17:46:32

Przemas

thx - will read through those smile .
I wonder - if xfce4-notifyd does not support buttons why does it tries to display them? No pun intended , just wondering.
So is it doable to replace xfce4-notifyd with other notifications daemon , so I could get rid of the "button" glitch the other way?

Board footer