Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-13 21:15:41

vector

Whisker Menu-lost Apps-How to rebuild

xfce4-panel 4.12.0, whisker Menu, 16.04 -Ubuntu Studio

Hi All,
I installed XCFA sound converter and then couldn't find it in the menu. After a hunt I found it had put itself into
video Production.
I right clicked the whisker menu to edit and using the move arrows moved it up the dropdown lists into the audio production tab

On exit from the editor everything else is now screwed up. Im missing video production tab along with a few others and many apps especially lots of Audio ones are missing.
They dont even come up if i use the menu search.

Under edit they no longer appear

How do I rebuild the menu?
applications, such as Audacity I can run from the terminal so they are still present just not showing in the launcher

#2 2017-01-13 22:05:09

ozjd
Website

Re: Whisker Menu-lost Apps-How to rebuild

The changes should be stored in ~/.local/share/applications if you remove anything there it should return to the defaults.

Xfce doesn't have a menu editor so you should follow up with whatever editor you used probably through your distro.

#3 2017-01-13 23:52:30

ToZ
Administrator

In addition to what ozjd has posted, the Whisker Menu uses an external menu editor to edit the menus. Go to the properties and on the Commands tab, it will list which editor you are using. Perhaps the editor itself is buggy.

Also, the edited menu files will be save in your ~/.config/menus folder. The default xfce menu is called xfce-applications.menu. Renaming that file will revert back to the menu structure that was default for your distro (and will include the entries from your ~/.local/share/applications folder).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2017-01-15 00:50:13

vector

Many thanks for your help.

BTW using your instructions the distro is using menulibre as the editor.

I renamed ~/.config/menus xfce-applications.menu to xfce-applications.menu.bak and all is back to the original condition(at least I can use my pc again wink

I was a little confused tho in that I expected a new version of xfce-applications.menu to be created but perhaps that only happens if I edit it again. So I tested this by simply editing and moving, in the upper menu the terminal launch icon up one.. Sure enough the xfce-applications.menu file was created again and again the menu is broken.
For now I have renamed it and we are back to a working condition....

Where would I find the default xfce-applications.menu file? or the file the menu is using when it dosen't have ~/.config/menus xfce-applications.menu file to use.
I was going to use gedit to compare the good with the bad so I can make a better bug topic for menulibre developers.

Appreciate your help guys

#5 2017-01-15 01:03:09

Jerry3904

Where would I find the default xfce-applications.menu file?

Usually here, I believe:

/etc/skel/.config/menus/xfce-settings-manager.menu

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#6 2017-01-15 01:48:01

ToZ
Administrator

Yeah, It sounds like menulibre is buggy. What version are you using?

menulibre --version

Also, there are other menu editors available: alacarte or xame. Or you can edit the menus by hand.

As for the location of the default xfce menu, it is dependent on the distro. Use "locate" to find it on your system. It's usually somewhere in the /etc/xdg tree.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer