Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-18 13:16:54

silvers

The future way of XFCE?!

Hi everybody.
I just registered here in the forum, because I want like to say some things.
I am a very satisfied xfce4 user for long time. Most of all, I love the stability,
the freedom, the simplicity and the flexibility of xfce4. I assume many user appreciate
these things on xfce4.
The developer of xfce4 were able to kept those characteristics for many years.
It's a genius peace of software / desktop environment which helps the user to
work on computers.

Nowadays, the switch to gtk3 is in focus. OK. It seems it has to.
But I really bag the developers, please don't mess this wonderful DE into a crap
peace of unfriendly usability.

I have my doubts. The reason why is the way of change of the xfce4-terminal.
The missing option is the freedom to change the shortcuts very easily with enabling editable accelerators.
After just move the mouse over the menu item you wanna change and then just click the
shortcut you want. I certainly know there are other ways to define shortcuts. But the usability of
xfce4 in the last years was just going that easy way. Isn't it uncomfortable to open a config file and change it
by hand?
Another missing point is in the preferences dialog the color picker option.
Now I have to install a color picker or I have to open gimp just for figuring out a certain color I want to pick up in xfce4-terminal?

I'm not a developer. I'm not even able to write code. Unfortunately I'm not able to contribute anything in that way.
Xfce4 is my home office environment and I want just continuing stuff in a flexible and easy way on computers.
I don't know whether these option are cancelled or will still implement again. I very hope so.

Maybe we gonna talk about maintain usability and flexiblity in xfce-gtk3.

regards silvers

Last edited by silvers (2017-02-18 13:23:24)

#2 2017-02-18 14:44:28

ToZ
Administrator

Re: The future way of XFCE?!

Hello and welcome.

But I really bag the developers, please don't mess this wonderful DE into a crap peace of unfriendly usability.

The goal is to keep it as close to what it is now, but using a more recent toolkit.

I have my doubts. The reason why is the way of change of the xfce4-terminal.
The missing option is the freedom to change the shortcuts very easily with enabling editable accelerators.

Another missing point is in the preferences dialog the color picker option.
Now I have to install a color picker or I have to open gimp just for figuring out a certain color I want to pick up in xfce4-terminal?

Sometimes the toolkit makes changes that affect the functionality that the applications can use. These are two examples of this.

With respect to the accelerators, you can still change them by directly editing the ~/.config/xfce4/terminal/accels.scm file, but the ability to do it from the front-end was removed because of the toolkit. See https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12861.

Edit: GTK3 bug report about color picker.

Last edited by ToZ (2017-02-18 14:47:17)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-02-19 13:22:02

silvers

Re: The future way of XFCE?!

Thank you for your response.
Well, it's a gtk3 issue! Oh my goodness, what the heck...
Actually a sort of sad. Where ever I look around, it seems things never
getting better. Everybody complains about things got change in bad directions.
Ok, I keep watching. Hope xfce will doing well as possible with the available tools.

Board footer