Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-09 19:15:55

allin

How to test Xfce?

Hello,
I have read the last blog post about testing Xfce.

I would like to help testing but I can't completely understand how to do that. I'm currently running Xubuntu 17.04 but I guess that the last Xfce updates will not be available on Xubuntu.

Which is the best way to test the new releases? With the docker container xfce-test? What if I prefer to run the last updates on my real PC? Is there some cutting-edge distro I can use for testing? Or maybe an ubuntu PPA?

Last edited by allin (2017-04-09 19:16:13)

#2 2017-04-09 20:13:55

ToZ
Administrator

Re: How to test Xfce?

You could try the docker approach that Simon and the Xubuntu team have put together (as per the link you posted above), or you can try building Xfce directly from git. With the git method, you will get the latest of everything, but you really need to know the ins and outs of building from source (and recovering from failed builds) so that you can still have a working system. The docker method looks more manageable and easier to implement (but doesn't necessarily have the latest of everything, until they add it I guess).

That being said, the gtk3 version of xfce4-panel, which they have included, really could use some testing. Since your using Xubuntu, why don't you give the docker approach a try?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-04-10 04:34:03

allin

Thank you for your reply.

I know almost nothing about compiling. smile
I will have to study also to run the container because I've never used a container before, but it is the best choice for sure. I was looking for a cutting-edge Xfce distro (something like KDE Neon) but I'm sure it would be a huge effort to maintain a distro. I'll use xfce-test, thank you!

#4 2017-04-10 17:08:44

allin

Hi, I'm trying to run the docker cointainer but the status is

enrico@enrico-linux:~$ service docker status
● docker.service - Docker Application Container Engine
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/docker.service; disabled; vendor preset: 
   Active: active (running) since Mon 2017-04-10 19:03:18 CEST; 11s ago

But if I run "docker pull schuellerf/xfce-test:ubuntu_17.04"

Warning: failed to get default registry endpoint from daemon (Cannot connect to the Docker daemon. 
Is the docker daemon running on this host?). Using system default: https://index.docker.io/v1/
Cannot connect to the Docker daemon. Is the docker daemon running on this host?

Can you help me?

#5 2017-04-10 19:55:24

ToZ
Administrator

I believe docker commands need to be run as root by an account that is part of the docker group..
So try running the command as root (using sudo) or add your userid to the "docker" group (and log out and back in again).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2017-04-10 23:03:28

ozjd
Website

This has been discussed on the #xfce-dev irc channel and quite a few people have had issues. I believe the docker image has been re-created and some people have reported success after removing everything and trying it all again.

ToZ, there was a comment there that adding yourself to the docker group makes you root for everything but I haven't tried it so can't comment.

#7 2017-04-11 19:34:14

allin

Thank you. I've never used a docker image so I have nothing to remove smile

I thought it was easier run a docker image but maybe it's not so easy for me. I need to study a bit. Thank you for your replies!

Last edited by allin (2017-04-11 19:34:29)

Board footer