Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-01 14:31:55

SamuelLJ

Xfce Notification Area won't accept icon theme

Hello. Recently I have switched from Gnome to Xfce for more comfortable two monitors usage. I played with themes, panel, etc. Then I changed global icon theme to "Numix Circle". DockbarX on the panel works correctly with new icons, and notification area don't.

There's a screenshot of what it looks like (DockbarX on the left, Notification area on the right): http://savepic.ru/14659401.png

As you can see, icons in systray are not from global icon theme. And also I have very annoying problem with Telegram icon (it's fine with maximum icon size as 22px, but duplicate itself with bigger max icon size; currently it's set to 32px).

Is there any way to apply global icon theme to notification area? Or some workaround? Any help with Telegram icon?

Thanks

#2 2017-07-01 16:02:41

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Xfce Notification Area won't accept icon theme

Hello and welcome.

The icons in the notification area may or may not be the same as the application icons. It depends on the theme. I'm not sure exactly what you're expecting to see, but the Numix-Circle icon theme uses Numix (regular) icons for the panel. .

# ls -l /usr/share/icons/Numix-Circle/22/panel
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Jul  1 11:54 /usr/share/icons/Numix-Circle/22/panel -> ../../Numix/22/panel

Also most icon themes have separate application and panel icons.

As for the telegram icon, I'm not sure what telegram is, but it looks like it might be a bug. What version of Xfce are you using? A number of these panel icon issues have been fixed in recent releases.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-07-01 18:01:08

SamuelLJ

ToZ wrote:

Hello and welcome.

The icons in the notification area may or may not be the same as the application icons. It depends on the theme. I'm not sure exactly what you're expecting to see, but the Numix-Circle icon theme uses Numix (regular) icons for the panel. .

# ls -l /usr/share/icons/Numix-Circle/22/panel
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Jul  1 11:54 /usr/share/icons/Numix-Circle/22/panel -> ../../Numix/22/panel

Also most icon themes have separate application and panel icons.

As for the telegram icon, I'm not sure what telegram is, but it looks like it might be a bug. What version of Xfce are you using? A number of these panel icon issues have been fixed in recent releases.

Thank you for the explanation. Well, I'm expecting to see exact same icons in the Notification Area as in DockbarX. There was no such problem in Gnome so I'm a bit confused.

So basically what I have to do is to copy icons that I need to Numix/22/panel/, right? I'm trying to do this with keepassx icon, scale&copy from Numix-Circle/48/apps/keepassx.svg to Numix/22/panel/keepassx.svg. Next i tried:

update-icon-caches /usr/share/icons/*
gtk-update-icon-cache
xfce4-panel -r

No effect. Tried to change max icon size for systray between 22 and 32 and still no effect.
Is this the right way or not? Didn't try to log out/log in, shoul I? (Can't now, but if it is a must than will later)

Telegram is a popular and secure Instant Messenger. Also, not a problem on Gnome. I'm using Debian Testing with Xfce 4.12.

#4 2017-07-01 23:21:23

ToZ
Administrator

I had a look at the Keepass code and it looks like it just uses it application icon for the systray icon. I don't really use QT apps so I'm not sure what it's general practice is for systray icons. In the case of keepassx, it stores it's icons at /usr/share/keepassx/icons - just change the keepassx.png file to whatever icon you want to use.

Btw, gtk-update-icon-cache requires a parameter, the location of the icon's theme file (usually the root of the theme) to re-create the cache. Like:

$ sudo gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/Numix-Circle
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.

...and it will let you know if it found changes and updated the cache (using the -f parameter will force a new cache even if it doesn't see any changes).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2017-07-02 14:33:44

SamuelLJ

ToZ wrote:

I had a look at the Keepass code and it looks like it just uses it application icon for the systray icon. I don't really use QT apps so I'm not sure what it's general practice is for systray icons. In the case of keepassx, it stores it's icons at /usr/share/keepassx/icons - just change the keepassx.png file to whatever icon you want to use.

Btw, gtk-update-icon-cache requires a parameter, the location of the icon's theme file (usually the root of the theme) to re-create the cache. Like:

$ sudo gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/Numix-Circle
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.

...and it will let you know if it found changes and updated the cache (using the -f parameter will force a new cache even if it doesn't see any changes).

Thank you for your time. I'll try to change keepassx icon later. In the meantime I found out about this script: hardcode-tray and it actually helped me with Telegram icon, now it's a nice icon from Papirus icon theme. Slack icon changed too, but not Megasync and KeePassX. I'll play around later.

#6 2017-07-02 14:59:28

SamuelLJ

Replaced keepassx icon in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/(24x24,32x32,48x48)/apps and now it looks well. I'm just wondering will it be changed to default after app update (if there will be any)?

Latest result (only systray with icons from Papirus icon theme): http://savepic.ru/14680542.png

Will play with icon themes later, maybe switch to another. Also I'll need to change megasync icon. But how it is right now is just fine with me.

Last edited by SamuelLJ (2017-07-02 15:16:45)

Board footer