Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-17 14:22:58

kosbar

[SOLVED] I can't choose desktop background under User.

When I try choose folder with pictures (instead deafault) the files in Folders looks gray and inaccessible.
When I try pick up some pictrues in default folder nothing changes...
And everthing is fine under Root.
I feel that is permission problem but don't understand what happenend and where to dig.

DECISION: use 'xfdesktop' command in terminal.

Last edited by kosbar (2017-07-19 16:38:46)

#2 2017-07-17 15:48:03

MountainDewManiac

Re: [SOLVED] I can't choose desktop background under User.

kosbar wrote:

When I try choose folder with pictures (instead deafault) the files in Folders looks gray and inaccessible.

I do not recall whether or not this applies, for it has been several years since I used that. But I know in other such "boxes," if files are grayed out - but the folders are not - it typically means the mechanism is expecting the user to select a folder/directory instead of one or more individual files.

You could test this by highlighting a directory and choosing "Open" or whatever the action button is. Or you could create a new directory and add the picture(s) you were attempting to select to it, then try using the directory. If it works, problem solved.

If it doesn't work, my apologies for a bad suggestion.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2017-07-17 16:06:10

kosbar

MountainDewManiac wrote:

I do not recall whether or not this applies, for it has been several years since I used that. But I know in other such "boxes," if files are grayed out - but the folders are not - it typically means the mechanism is expecting the user to select a folder/directory instead of one or more individual files.

Yes, your are right! I'm just choosing folder that's why files are gray!

MountainDewManiac wrote:

You could test this by highlighting a directory and choosing "Open" or whatever the action button is. Or you could create a new directory and add the picture(s) you were attempting to select to it, then try using the directory. If it works, problem solved.
If it doesn't work, my apologies for a bad suggestion.

Regards,
MDM

Nope, problem the same, when I choose any picture for background nothing going on. When I try it under root -- all work fast and fine.
I have allready reinstall xfce4 nothing changes.

Last edited by kosbar (2017-07-17 16:07:30)

#4 2017-07-17 17:23:52

Jerry3904

If I understand what you mean, we have many users confused by this. You need to select the folder, not any pictures in it, then click Open. Then all the images in that folder will show up in the selection window.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#5 2017-07-17 17:51:25

kosbar

Jerry3904 wrote:

If I understand what you mean, we have many users confused by this. You need to select the folder, not any pictures in it, then click Open. Then all the images in that folder will show up in the selection window.

If you will read my message upper you will see that I realyzed it, but still CAN'T CHOOSE PICTURE!
And I write that -- under ROOT I CAN DO EVERYTHING AND ALL WORK FINE!

#6 2017-07-17 18:11:43

Jerry3904

THANKS FOR THE CAPITAL LETTERS...

Maybe there is something about your user name that is being rejected. If you create another user with a simple name such as "hans" does the same thing happen when running under that account?

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#7 2017-07-17 19:05:56

kosbar

Jerry3904 wrote:

THANKS FOR THE CAPITAL LETTERS...

Maybe there is something about your user name that is being rejected. If you create another user with a simple name such as "hans" does the same thing happen when running under that account?

Sorry for CAPS))
I have create one more user and he is fine: under him I can change folders, pictures and all do work fine. Problem only with old one.
Under old user I can change folders, and I can see all pictures in the folders (eg /home/user/Downloads/ or /home/user/Pictures) but I can't change background, when I click on icon of picture nothing going on.
I don't want change user, cause I don't know how I did it smash up!

#8 2017-07-17 19:32:09

ToZ
Administrator

kosbar wrote:

I can see all pictures in the folders (eg /home/user/Downloads/ or /home/user/Pictures) but I can't change background, when I click on icon of picture nothing going on.

Are you sure that xfdesktop is managing your desktop instead of one of the other desktop managers (nemo, caja, pcmanfm, nautilus, etc). Look at your process list to see if any of those apps are running.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#9 2017-07-17 21:19:41

kosbar

ToZ wrote:
kosbar wrote:

I can see all pictures in the folders (eg /home/user/Downloads/ or /home/user/Pictures) but I can't change background, when I click on icon of picture nothing going on.

Are you sure that xfdesktop is managing your desktop instead of one of the other desktop managers (nemo, caja, pcmanfm, nautilus, etc). Look at your process list to see if any of those apps are running.

We on the right way!
I just typed in the terminal 'xfdesktop' and my background desktop color changed! Wow! After that I could change background to the picture!
Interesting...

#10 2017-07-17 22:52:55

ToZ
Administrator

So it looks like one of the other applications is managing your desktop. Find out which one it is and make sure you configure it to not manage the desktop.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#11 2018-04-17 13:35:41

jdawi

Solution
1) Run thunar
2) Go to the folder /usr/share/xfce4
3) Click once over the folder /backdrops    (this folder will contain all the images you want for your dektop)
4) Drag the folder to the left to include it in your preferred folders
5) Run xfdesktop-settings
6) Choose the folder backdrops, that now will appear in your list and will be accessible
7) The images will be diplayed
8) Chose a nice image
9) Enjoy

Board footer