Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-29 06:37:40

hinxx

ssh keys

When I do ssh://hostname in Thunar I get the username/password prompt. Could Thunar try to login to remote machine without this?
I ran ssh-copy-id user@machine and I can ssh from terminal without providing password at this point. It would be super useful if Thunar could do the same.

#2 2017-09-29 06:52:13

ozjd
Website

Re: ssh keys

If you want a new feature added then open a request at https://bugzilla.xfce.org/. The devs don't visit here very often, some never, so won't see any discussion here. That said don't expect a quick response as they are working on the port to gtk3 and not planning on adding new features.

#3 2017-09-29 10:02:25

ToZ
Administrator

It actually should already work if you've set up your keys properly. Connect via:

ssh://username@hostname

...in the thunar input field and a connection will be made using sftp.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2017-10-02 15:51:00

dtd

I use FreeBSD so my mechanics are different but the process is the same. We all use openssh right?? I assume you have a public/private key pair. All that needs to be done is to copy the public key into the authorized_keys[2] file on the target server. For me, if I can ssh from an xterm then thunar will do the same. I find smb a bit tricker as you (I at least) have to do passwords and in there are a mix of windows (xp, 7, 10) you have to make sure one is the master (I forget what windows calls this).

If you can ssh from an xterm, try running thunar from an xterm, you may get some error messages that will help.

If you can't ssh from an xterm then its a setup issue.

Board footer