Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-17 13:40:49

fern

In Xfce, how to configure and add firefox from a tarball?

Hello, back this way again!

This sounds a bit illogical, but I've been trying to add firefox from a tarball package for the menu start of applications, and when I open the browser I get an error. Any  special guides around here?

#2 2017-10-17 19:26:29

ToZ
Administrator

Re: In Xfce, how to configure and add firefox from a tarball?

Perhaps you could provide some more info.

add firefox from a tarball package for the menu start of applications

Which menu? Whiskermenu, applicationsmenu, appfinder?
How are you adding it?

when I open the browser I get an error

What error are you getting?
Do you get this error when you try to launch it from the menu?
Do you also get this same error if you try to run it manually from a terminal window?

Here is a guide on customizing menus. Sounds like you are interested in the section about create .desktop files.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-10-20 02:40:41

fern

ToZ wrote:

.... is a guide on customizing menus. Sounds like you are interested in the section about create .desktop files.

Exactly, I was trying to add firefox from tarball packet but the result was an error when launching firefox from the terminal or from the taskbar, the application menu is the standard for xfce. Maybe you have any special guide for  add fireox and make the configure of the directory in the system?

Last edited by fern (2017-10-20 02:45:46)

#4 2017-10-20 23:25:11

ToZ
Administrator

It would really be helpful if you could share the error message - perhaps its not related to the menu at all.

As for the menu item itself, try creating one of the two following files:

-    ~/.local/share/applications/firefox.desktop (for the local user only)
-    /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop (for all users on the computer)

..with the following content:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Firefox
GenericName=Web Browser
Comment=Browse the Web
Exec=/path/to/firefox/executable
Icon=/path/to/firefox/icon
Terminal=false
Type=Application
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;text/mml;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;
StartupNotify=true
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;

...change both "/path/to/firefox/executable" and "/path/to/firefox/icon" to the actual full path names to the executable and icons.

But the content of the error message would be very helpful.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2017-10-23 23:39:58

fern

ToZ wrote:

It would really be helpful if you could share the error message - perhaps its not related to the menu at all.

As for the menu item itself, try creating one of the two following files:

-    ~/.local/share/applications/firefox.desktop (for the local user only)
-    /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop (for all users on the computer)

...change both "/path/to/firefox/executable" and "/path/to/firefox/icon" to the actual full path names to the executable and icons.

But the content of the error message would be very helpful.

Hi ToZ, I'm sorry for the delay in answering, I did it this way and I don't know if you'll be all right. The folder created xfcefirefox deposited it in the /usr/share/ directory, and the firefox.desktop file was created this way, I don't know if the comment for the firefox.desktop file of  X-GNOME-FullName=Firefox Web browser   will be ok, and the rest is like this as you see it.

# nano firefox.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Firefox web
Comment=Browse the World Wide Web
GenericName=Web Browser
X-GNOME-FullName=Firefox Web browser
Exec=/usr/share/xfcefirefox/firefox/firefox %u
Terminal=false
X-MultipleArgs=false
Type=Application
Icon=/usr/share/xfcefirefox/firefox/browser/icons/mozicon128.png
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;
StartupWMClass=Firefox
StartupNotify=true

For the symbolic link I put it like that, will you be okay? Everything went well, if you notice that something is not right in the commented script, please tell me. And I don't know if it was necessary to comment on the US.UTF-8  encoding.  With respect to the errors, before opening the topic, it used to be errors and could not be opened from anywhere, but this way it doesn't give any errors, I put the results open firefox from the terminal, thank you for your help!

$ cd /usr/local/bin/

$ sudo ls -s /usr/share/xfcefirefox/firefox/firefox

$ firefox

(firefox:10401): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion 'object->ref_count > 0' failed

(firefox:10401): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'object->ref_count > 0' failed

(firefox:10401): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion 'object->ref_count > 0' failed

(firefox:10401): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'object->ref_count > 0' failed
1508802738529	addons.webextension.https-everywhere@eff.org	WARN	Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your browser_action options.
1508802738533	addons.webextension.jid1-MnnxcxisBPnSXQ@jetpack	WARN	Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your browser_action options.

(/usr/share/xfcefirefox/firefox:10442): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion 'object->ref_count > 0' failed

(/usr/share/xfcefirefox/firefox:10442): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'object->ref_count > 0' failed

(/usr/share/xfcefirefox/firefox:10442): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion 'object->ref_count > 0' failed

(/usr/share/xfcefirefox/firefox:10442): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'object->ref_count > 0' failed
Extension error: TypeError: settings is undefined moz-extension://f7192069-cfde-4d98-9c64-5d1127afcbb6/js/background.js 575
[[Exception stack
isPrivacyBadgerEnabled@moz-extension://f7192069-cfde-4d98-9c64-5d1127afcbb6/js/background.js:575:9
refreshIconAndContextMenu@moz-extension://f7192069-cfde-4d98-9c64-5d1127afcbb6/js/background.js:758:9
startBackgroundListeners/<@moz-extension://f7192069-cfde-4d98-9c64-5d1127afcbb6/js/background.js:780:7
Current stack
runSafeSyncWithoutClone@resource://gre/modules/ExtensionUtils.jsm:63:129
runSafeWithoutClone@resource://gre/modules/ExtensionCommon.jsm:174:38
fire@resource://gre/modules/ExtensionChild.jsm:771:71
receiveMessage@resource://gre/modules/ExtensionChild.jsm:773:76
_callHandlers/<@resource://gre/modules/MessageChannel.jsm:587:17
_callHandlers@resource://gre/modules/MessageChannel.jsm:586:14
_handleMessage/deferred.promise<@resource://gre/modules/MessageChannel.jsm:651:7
_handleMessage@resource://gre/modules/MessageChannel.jsm:648:24
receiveMessage@resource://gre/modules/MessageChannel.jsm:163:5
]]
Extension error: TypeError: settings is undefined moz-extension://f7192069-cfde-4d98-9c64-5d1127afcbb6/js/background.js 575
[[Exception stack
isPrivacyBadgerEnabled@moz-extension://f7192069-cfde-4d98-9c64-5d1127afcbb6/js/background.js:575:9
refreshIconAndContextMenu@moz-extension://f7192069-cfde-4d98-9c64-5d1127afcbb6/js/background.js:758:9
startBackgroundListeners/<@moz-extension://f7192069-cfde-4d98-9c64-5d1127afcbb6/js/background.js:780:7
Current stack
runSafeSyncWithoutClone@resource://gre/modules/ExtensionUtils.jsm:63:129
runSafeWithoutClone@resource://gre/modules/ExtensionCommon.jsm:174:38
fire@resource://gre/modules/ExtensionChild.jsm:771:71
receiveMessage@resource://gre/modules/ExtensionChild.jsm:773:76
_callHandlers/<@resource://gre/modules/MessageChannel.jsm:587:17
_callHandlers@resource://gre/modules/MessageChannel.jsm:586:14
_handleMessage/deferred.promise<@resource://gre/modules/MessageChannel.jsm:651:7
_handleMessage@resource://gre/modules/MessageChannel.jsm:648:24
receiveMessage@resource://gre/modules/MessageChannel.jsm:163:5
]]
windows.onRemoved event fired after context unloaded.
windows.onFocusChanged event fired after context unloaded.

$

Last edited by fern (2017-10-24 00:04:35)

#6 2017-10-23 23:58:25

ToZ
Administrator

Does firefox start if you run it from the terminal:

/usr/share/xfcefirefox/firefox/firefox

#7 2017-10-24 00:18:57

fern

ToZ wrote:

Does firefox start if you run it from the terminal:

There I put the results of open firefox from the terminal, if you visualize that something is wrong, let me know. smile

Last edited by fern (2017-10-24 00:20:32)

#8 2017-10-24 01:33:16

ToZ
Administrator

But does it start? Does the main window show up?

If not, have you tried running it in safe mode?

#9 2017-10-24 19:53:14

fern

ToZ wrote:

But does it start? Does the main window show up?

If not, have you tried running it in safe mode?

Hello ToZ!

Yes, of course, the main window opens, and when you click on the icon of both the standard Xfce browser and the firefox itself, it opens very quickly. Thank you for helping me very kindly on your  part.

I will open a new thread of how to configure and embellish Xfce with the themes of styles or icons themes , and also with fonts to be in RGB.  smile

Last edited by fern (2017-10-24 19:56:05)

Board footer