Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-18 13:36:58

Smit

What should I learn to contribute to XFCE

hello every one .I am 17 years old and I am a new XFCE user and I liked it too much!! I would love to contribute ! but I am noob in programing.I know c,c++ and little bit GTK+ in c and started learning HTML-CSS  and Java. I just started learning programing 6 months ago. Now when I go to https://xfce.org/getinvolved I don't find any information about how can I contribute(I am interested in programing,even if I am noob I will be pro in future for sure).

Also If I want to contribute to XFCE , What technology or programing languages should I learn . I am currently completing engineering in IT and it will take 6 years( 3 years of diploma + 3 years of B.tech/BE)

Also sorry for my English
thanks!!

big_smile big_smile

#2 2017-12-19 00:29:16

ToZ
Administrator

Re: What should I learn to contribute to XFCE

Hello and welcome.

A good way to get started is to look at the bug tracker, find a bug that interests you and try to fix it. All the code is available on our git site.

You can also post your interest on the xfce4-dev mailing list. There was a recent similar request and the devs provided an answer.

Xfce is currently undergoing a GTK3 migration. Any help in that area would be helpful. If you look at that page you'll notice that some of the apps and plugins have not yet been migrated. You could adopt one of those for the migration.

Thank you for your interest in contributing.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-12-20 15:10:02

Smit

Thanks sir,
I am currently learning new things in programing.What can you suggest me to learn if I want to become future XFCE contributor ?? I am currently focusing on Java as it has more marks.(But I like C more)

#4 2017-12-20 23:57:04

ToZ
Administrator

Xfce is written mostly in C, so you will like that. There is some C++ and vala code as well. It now uses the GTK3 toolkit. Since you already know C, have a look at and get an understanding of the GTK3 toolkit. Then look and review some of the code on the git site to see how it is used.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2017-12-21 04:14:37

Smit

Thank you very much sir!!
I will start contributing as fast as possible!

Board footer