Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-22 10:51:09

hurrikhan

Multiple monitor setup keeps being reconfigured

I everyone.

I'm using Xfce 4.12

I have 4 screens connected to my main computer.
3 in the office, one in the living room.

Usually I use the central monitor of the office.
Sometimes I also start the right screen, keeping the central screen as primary (and of course the right screen on the right).
Sometimes I also start the left screen, keeping the central screen as primary (and of course the left screen on the left).

On the evening, I use the fourth screen as primary, with sometimes the central monitor of the office as mirror.

But every single time I power on or off a screen, I get the popup asking me what I want to do with them.
It looks like there is no way to make Xfce remember my settings and apply them automatically depending on what screens are on or off.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

E.

Last edited by hurrikhan (2017-12-22 10:51:25)

#2 2017-12-22 11:50:40

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Multiple monitor setup keeps being reconfigured

Hello and welcome.

This has been an issue in Xfce for a while (see outstanding bug reports). You can use  udev hooks and scripts to manage multiple monitor configurations. See my response and the link to a sample hook and setup in this thread. I used this for a while when I had multiple montors.

There have also been alot of updates to this code post-4.12. If you have a chance or if it's possible to try a post-4.12 version of xfce4-settings, you can test to see if these issues may have been resolved.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-12-22 13:15:20

hurrikhan

Very interesting, thank you.  I may apply your workaround.
I don't think I'll have the opportunity to build and try an xfce.  I'll wait for 4.13.

#4 2018-01-05 21:02:31

theOtherCharles

Take a look at arandr. It is an Xrandr gui, which has the virtue of saving its configurations (once you set them up in arandr) as shell scripts. So you can execute them from the session manager's "Application Autostart". Or add symlinks to ~/Desktop, and click on them. It is not automatic, but I gather this is a permanent setup, and you only change configurations as you move from room to room.

The popup sounds like something on 4.12, and I am not familiar with that. Could you configure whatever generates the popup to run one of arandr's scripts instead? Is this a udev hook?

#5 2018-01-06 10:15:59

hurrikhan

theOtherCharles wrote:

Take a look at arandr.

That's what I'm using now. I've hooked it to keyboard shortcuts, but it is not very convenient.
I'm halfway writing a daemon that listen to events and starts script(s) depending on the enabled/disabled screens but it's on the bottom of my stack (so many things to do and so little time ...).

Last edited by hurrikhan (2018-01-06 10:16:16)

Board footer