Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-25 22:49:57

unni

One solution to solve screen tearing

Hi,

Just wanted to leave here my solution to eliminate screen tearing.
I'm using a laptop with intel graphics (i5-2410M) and Arch Linux.

After messing around with various settings (including installing different compositors and WMs), I found that I can eliminate tearing completely by installing the xf86-video-intel driver package and creating the following configuration file:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Intel Graphics"
	Driver		"intel"
	Option		"AccelMethod"	"sna"
	Option		"TearFree"	"true"
EndSection

You must disable the option "Synchronize drawing to the vertical blank" in the compositor for this to work.

For some reason, in the wiki it is never mentioned that you need to install xf86-video-intel for the 20-intel.conf to work. Furthermore, at some point it is said that the installation of that package is discouraged, but it works for me.

I know that all of this is detailed in the Arch wiki but I thought I could just leave this here condesed for anyone who wants to try it. It eliminated tearing completely for me with no side effects.

#2 2018-01-26 20:05:23

bunnymnemonic

Re: One solution to solve screen tearing

Thanks, I can confirm that this works. I'm using Xubuntu 16.04.3. Solution is the same (except that I created the following file with the same content: /etc/X11/xorg.conf ...and I did not have to install the driver package to make it work, as far as I remember).

Board footer