Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-29 01:31:30

nick0515

volume icon in panel notifications area plugin doesn't show correctly

Hi there,

I recently installed GalliumOS (based on Xubuntu 16.04) on my Chromebook.

I'm having an annoying problem when customizing my desktop appearance. The volume icon in the panel (notifications area plugin, I think) doesn't show according to the icon theme selected for most themes. Usually it shows up as the same grey speaker icon with blue sound waves. A couple of icon themes change it but most don't. All other icons change appropriately. The default icon set is a Numix and this does work correctly but most others don't.

One exception with a different problem is the paper theme. This theme does change the icon but the icon doesn't match the other icons of the theme for wifi, bluetooth etc. Rather it is too large and the colour is a different shade of grey.

Any help much appreciated. I have tried a range of different icon themes as well as tired adjusting the panel size.

I'm not a very advanced Linux user so please explain things with basic instructions if possible.

Thanks,

Nick

Last edited by nick0515 (2018-01-29 03:33:20)

#2 2018-01-29 03:38:12

nick0515

Re: volume icon in panel notifications area plugin doesn't show correctly

I tried an alternative solution from this thread: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=11979

I installed volume-alsa. This sort of works. It picks up the correct theme icon, however, I can't get the volumeicon to launch at start up. I created a startup thing with name volumeicon and command volumeicon but it doesn't seem to work. If I run volumeicon in the terminal it works and shows in the panel but if I close the terminal it disappears again. When I run volumeicon in the terminal it does give me a message about not having the correct icon in the theme (Papirus-Dark) so that might be the problem although it's confusing because it does actually show the correct icon when it is running.

So if I could get this to run properly it would be a good solution as I can hide the other incorrect volume icon.

#3 2018-01-30 04:24:04

ToZ
Administrator

Perhaps the volumeicon application is starting before the panel has had a chance to finish initializing. Try changing the autostart command to:

bash -c "sleep 3 && volumeicon"

...adjust the sleep duration to suit.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2018-01-30 19:39:25

nick0515

ToZ wrote:

Perhaps the volumeicon application is starting before the panel has had a chance to finish initializing. Try changing the autostart command to:

bash -c "sleep 3 && volumeicon"

...adjust the sleep duration to suit.

Thank you! That perfectly fixed the issue with the volumeicon command!

Board footer