Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-01 22:58:06

xternal

Replace xscreensaver with gnome lock and login screen

Hello,
I added xfce to my fedora installation which natively uses gnome. I was wondering if I can replace the xscreensaver and lock screen to use the gnome lockscreen and login manager when "switching users".

I have tried replacing with gnome-screensaver as per some instructions online, however I couldn't get this to work.
As I have the full gnome desktop environment installed and I use the default gnome login screen, is there something else i need to put in /usr/bin/xflock4 instead of the reference to gnome-screensaver?

Cheers

#2 2018-02-02 00:47:49

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Replace xscreensaver with gnome lock and login screen

xternal wrote:

I have tried replacing with gnome-screensaver as per some instructions online, however I couldn't get this to work.

What did you try? I would say to uncheck the xscreensaver option in Settings Manager > Session and Startup > Autostart Appliciations and check or add one for gnome-screensaver.

As I have the full gnome desktop environment installed and I use the default gnome login screen, is there something else i need to put in /usr/bin/xflock4 instead of the reference to gnome-screensaver?

xflock4 will will use gnome-screensaver but I believe xscreensaver has preference if it's running (might depend on the version of Xfce that you are running). Try the step above, log out and back in again, make sure xscreensaver isn't running, and see if that helps.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-02-02 01:28:27

xternal

Thanks ToZ,
I think the issue was with xscreensaver still being loaded. It is working now.

However I still have an issue where it doesnt go to the gnome login screen to switch users. I just get a blank screen when I click switch user. It was doing this even with xscreensaver as well.
I have to ctl-alt-f2 to get back to my session.

Thanks

#4 2018-02-02 03:26:04

ToZ
Administrator

Does switch user work if you log into the Gnome DE instead of Xfce?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2018-02-02 03:51:29

xternal

Yes it does. I can also hit ctl-alt-f1 and get to the gnome login manager as well. So I guess a bit of a work around. Would be nice if  I could get it to work for wife acceptance factor smile

Gnome did move the login screen from 7 to 1, no idea if that makes any difference?

#6 2018-02-02 12:31:01

ToZ
Administrator

Hmm. I installed gdm on my system and it doesn't work either - I'm seeing the same issues. I did notice some crash dumps in the journal - so something isn't working right. I'm not sure whether this is a bug in gdm or Xfce. The crashes are all against gnome-session.

Lightdm works well with Xfce - I tested it as well. Just a note if you decide to try it, that for user switching to work you need to change your switch user command to "dm-tool switch-to-greeter" if you are using whisker menu. Otherwise you need to override the gdmflexiserver command. To do so, create the file /usr/local/bin/gdmflexiserver, make it executable and create its content like:

#!/bin/bash
dm-tool switch-to-greeter

Board footer