Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-28 22:50:24

gbcat

Could you please change a little bit of Thunar's Location Selector?

I am using Xubuntu 18.04 with Xfce 4.12.
For instance, I opened a zip file under ~/Downloads directory by the default archive manager Engrampa (actually I also tested PeaZip, but situation was all the same) and I want to extract files to ~.
Then I come to the location selector.
56b70fe7690bf127.png
Then I click the Home tab above.
c3d8a7b7e21f960e.png
That is the problem. The "Downloads" directory remains selected. If I press "Extract" at once, the files will be extracted to "Downloads" directory. I have to find another way, e.g. click "Home" tab in the left side.

I have tested several situations and found that it only happened when click the direct parent directory of the previously selected directory.
For example, here is a 6-level directory tree.
deaada5e6c607b9e.png
If I clicked "cfgs" and then clicked "office6", the "cfgs" will remain selected.
But if I clicked "cfgs" and then clicked "wps-office", no directory will be selected.

What is more, under normal situation, the problem is easy to solve since I just need to click the blank area to cancel the selection. But when Thunar works as a directory selector for some applications (e.g. archive manager), there are no good way to cancel the selection immediately.
Since the tabs work well on recording subdirectories, it is not necessary to keep subdirectory selected after click the tab of its parent directory. I would like to put forward 2 suggestions:

1.Do not keep any directory selected when switch to another tab.
2.Provide a way to cancel existing selections when Thunar is working as a directory selector.

By the way, I also experienced the same problem when I was using Linux Mint 18.3 under MATE Desktop. The file manager, Caja, is derived from GNOME Files, the same source of Thunar.

Thank you for taking the time to read this message.

Last edited by gbcat (2018-05-28 22:52:12)

#2 2018-05-28 23:00:08

peter.48

Re: Could you please change a little bit of Thunar's Location Selector?

And why not just click on "other locations"?

#3 2018-05-28 23:12:34

gbcat

peter.48 wrote:

And why not just click on "other locations"?

Well, certainly, there are a lot of way to avoid this small problem.
But it is still a disadvantageous point, right? big_smile

Last edited by gbcat (2018-05-28 23:13:33)

#4 2018-05-28 23:51:03

alcornoqui

Yeah, good luck with that...

It's not Thunar, that's Gtk File Chooser, "the file chooser interface used by GtkFileChooserWidget and GtkFileChooserDialog."

I've been down this particular rabbit hole before, but it goes way way above my head.

My hunch is that it's related in particular to gtk_file_chooser_get_current_folder (), in a way similar to this question on Stack Overflow, but, as I said, good luck, I don't even know where one could report anything about it...

#5 2018-05-29 00:28:16

gbcat

alcornoqui wrote:

Yeah, good luck with that...

It's not Thunar, that's Gtk File Chooser, "the file chooser interface used by GtkFileChooserWidget and GtkFileChooserDialog."

I've been down this particular rabbit hole before, but it goes way way above my head.

My hunch is that it's related in particular to gtk_file_chooser_get_current_folder (), in a way similar to this question on Stack Overflow, but, as I said, good luck, I don't even know where one could report anything about it...

Thank you for your information. I'll see how I can report to the GTK team. Maybe through the GTK issue tracking system.

Last edited by gbcat (2018-05-29 00:28:28)

Board footer