Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-05 14:56:43

olh

window placement with dynamic monitors

I have a laptop and an external monitor, which is connected via HDMI.

In one configuration the external monitor is the primary display, the applications are expected to open on that screen per default.
In another configuration the external monitor is not connected, the applications are supposed to appear on the built-in screen.

What happens in the second case is that application windows do appear almost outside the built-in screen, on the right side. I only noticed they actually run by using Alt+Tab, the window was shown a little bit and it could be maximized.

I wonder what parts of the xfce code are responsible for the placement of the windows. I briefly browsed git.xfce.org, it was not obvious what repo might contain the relevant code.

Thanks.

#2 2018-07-05 19:08:42

ToZ
Administrator

Re: window placement with dynamic monitors

xfwm4 is responsible for window placement, xfce4-panel for panel placement, but both take input from xfce4-settings when monitor configurations change.

Which distro and what versions of these components are you using?

When the external monitor is disconnected, the system should notice that and re-arrange the layouts accordingly (i.e. the apps and panel on the external monitor show up on internal monitor). When the HDMI monitor is disconnected, does xrandr show it as disconnected?

Also, monitor management has always been a little buggy in Xfce. There have been alot of recent improvements in the 4.13 development branches.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-07-06 07:04:34

olh

Re: window placement with dynamic monitors

ToZ wrote:

Which distro and what versions of these components are you using?

This happened with Leap and Tumbleweed. I will try the relevant master branches once I find the time. Thanks.

Board footer