Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-10 10:08:00

PSi

Desktop icons properties have no 'ok' or 'cancel' buttons - why?

Dear Developers,

I wonder why desktop icons properties have no 'Ok' or 'Cancel' buttons? If I make even a slightest error while typing -- say -- Launcher command row and -- just before would be pressing the non existent 'Ok' -- I notice I've been a fool, I have no turning back, it is touch and go!

What is the advantage of not being able to cancel?

Are the modifications to desktop icons properties logged somewhere so that I could search and replace accidentally modified command row?

xfce4-panel 4.12.0 (Xfce 4.12), Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS

pekka

#2 2018-12-10 16:59:29

CwF

Re: Desktop icons properties have no 'ok' or 'cancel' buttons - why?

The 'Close' button is equivalent to "OK' and the window's 'X' close window is equivalent to Cancel.

#3 2018-12-10 23:45:16

MountainDewManiac

CwF wrote:

The 'Close' button is equivalent to "OK' and the window's 'X' close window is equivalent to Cancel.

That seems pretty counterintuitive to me. Maybe it seemed otherwise to the developer, IDK. Most folks (I assume) would look at that "X" in the upper-right corner of the window and the "Close" button as being basically the same thing.

Does the decades-old "standard" of pressing the Escape key to back out of a thing not work in this case? If not... I wonder why?

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2018-12-11 03:16:59

ToZ
Administrator

If you use the "Edit Launcher" menu option instead of Properties, you will get the Cancel and Save buttons. It always struck me as weird that you could change the launcher properties from the Properties dialog. Feel free to create a bug report to see if we can get some consistency between the two methods.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2021-03-08 08:23:13

PSi

ToZ wrote:

"-- Feel free to create a bug report to see if we can get some consistency between the two methods.--"

Where are the guidelines for creating a bug report?

#6 2021-03-08 11:47:03

ToZ
Administrator

PSi wrote:
ToZ wrote:

"-- Feel free to create a bug report to see if we can get some consistency between the two methods.--"

Where are the guidelines for creating a bug report?

You can make the bug report at https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfdesktop/-/issues. Just document the issue the best you can. A screenshot of the differences between the two launcher editing options would probably be helpful.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer