Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-14 05:37:16

mathurin68

Created Icons won't launch

Playing around with Xfce 4.12 debian on vmware player, but I can't drag the icon from the Applications menu, and I can't create any 'launchers' that work.

Just trying to get a terminal icon on the desktop, won't drag from the Applications menu - "File transfer could not be performed' message pops up.

OR if I create my launcher with -
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Terminal
Comment=
Exec=/usr/bin/xfce4-terminal
Icon=xterm
Path=
Terminal=true
StartupNotify=false
Terminal.desktop (END)

and marked it executable
chmod a+x Terminal.desktop

then i get the message
Failed to run - 'Terminal Desktop'
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Really appreciate any help or thoughts!

#2 2019-01-14 07:36:49

juky

Re: Created Icons won't launch

hello ,
my terminal.desktop :

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Xfce Terminal
Exec=xfce4-terminal
Icon=utilities-terminal
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=GTK;System;TerminalEmulator;
StartupNotify=true

@+

#3 2019-01-14 23:54:52

alcornoqui

If you're using Whisker Menu, try right clicking the icon of the app instead of dragging it (though drag and drop should work, it does in my system).

The right click menu should offer you to put a launcher in the desktop or panel.

#4 2019-01-15 02:19:33

mathurin68

Thank you!  Gave it a shot , still get this message for ANY launcher that I create...

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

I appreciate it, I think I'm just reinstalling the whole thing, I get the feeling it's something silly I did.

Board footer