Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-19 14:23:17

max_meer

How to connect bluetooth

I have a simple Bluetooth speaker. It connects with my phone and my tablet automatically after I set it up once, when I switch on Bluetooth on this device. To connect to this Linux machine (Mint 19 Tara -- Xfce4.12) I has to click through the whole procedure time and again.  It's not even possible to make a link/button to enter the Bluetooth-menu directly, one has to click through preferences-menu from start.
    To connect the speaker, one has to call Preferences than Bluetooth then click on the button caring the name of the device, to get to next popup window to click on the switch 'Connection' - again and again. But then it happens time and again, the system refuses to connect. You open the sub-menu with the 'Connection' switch click on it, but nothing happens,  without an error messages, or any information at all.

The popup window with the 'Connecting' switch shows a headset, offers a "Sound Setting" and a "Remove Device" Button (at the bottom of the popup window). Shows the Address:B8:9F:38:9B:C7:22 the Type:Headset (which is not true, is just a speaker), 'says' Paired: YES (from botton to top) but when you click on switch "Connection" you will be ignored - sometimes.

Does anybody have a clue how to fix this -- without shutdown and restart the the system? Maybe even tell me, how to persuade Linux to connect AUTOMATICALLY, like all other machines.
Application Autostart Settings offers: Bluetooth OBEX Agent (Allows to receive files via Bluetooth), maybe I have chose this, but I do NOT want to receive any files, I want just use the speaker.

#2 2019-01-19 21:10:02

mint4all

Re: How to connect bluetooth

max_meer wrote:

... Does anybody have a clue how to fix this -- without shutdown and restart the the system? Maybe even tell me, how to persuade Linux to connect AUTOMATICALLY, like all other machines.
Application Autostart Settings offers: Bluetooth OBEX Agent (Allows to receive files via Bluetooth), maybe I have chose this, but I do NOT want to receive any files, I want just use the speaker.

Greetings!

I had a similar problem (attempting to pair my iphone with my laptop). This guide @ https://www.maketecheasier.com/setup-bl … -in-linux/ helped me a great deal locating the additional packages i needed to install. Just so you know: this is NOT really an XFCE-desktop issue, rather -- afaict -- this has its underlying cause in Ubuntu's code/package base which serves as the base for Linux-Mint's flavors. If you can't make any progress with the foregoing directions, you may want to re-post your question/problem on the Linux Mint Support Forum @ http://forums.linuxmint.com/ -- there are plenty of network-savvy folks to help you out.

Good luck!

Updated 01-24-19: corrected link to maketecheasier.com's topic ... Thanks max_meer for pointing out my mistake; i apologize for the inconvenience.

Last edited by mint4all (2019-01-25 02:42:10)

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

Board footer