Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-10 17:12:23

learningxfce

GTK2 rules on ~/.gtkrc-2.0 are not respected.

I have read on some places that editing ~/.gtkrc-2.0 can make my local theme options override global GTK2 settings but the system is not loading it. I want to change some settings from Arc GTK theme, say gtk-color-scheme = "selected_bg_color: #5294e2", but when editing my ~/.gtkrc-2.0 with gtk-color-scheme = "selected_bg_color: #663399" and reapplying themes every select_bg_color still uses #5294e2. It works if I change it directly on /usr/share/themes/Arc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc though, I'm not sure what exactly I'm doing wrong. I've also followed these instructions and padding to my VTE terminal works fine, but trying to add GTK3 rules also doesn't apply and It's really bugging me...
If it matters, I'm on Debian 9.8 and kernel is 4.9.0-8-amd64.

#2 2019-03-10 18:00:10

ToZ
Administrator

Re: GTK2 rules on ~/.gtkrc-2.0 are not respected.

Hello and welcome.

learningxfce wrote:

I have read on some places that editing ~/.gtkrc-2.0 can make my local theme options override global GTK2 settings but the system is not loading it. I want to change some settings from Arc GTK theme, say gtk-color-scheme = "selected_bg_color: #5294e2", but when editing my ~/.gtkrc-2.0 with gtk-color-scheme = "selected_bg_color: #663399" and reapplying themes every select_bg_color still uses #5294e2. It works if I change it directly on /usr/share/themes/Arc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc though, I'm not sure what exactly I'm doing wrong.

I'm not sure how that works either. I've never been able to override those.

However, you can use xfconf and the /Gtk/ColorScheme property to override any of those colors:

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Gtk/ColorScheme -t string -s "selected_bg_color: #ff0000" --create

I've also followed these instructions and padding to my VTE terminal works fine, but trying to add GTK3 rules also doesn't apply and It's really bugging me...

I'm not sure I understand. Which GTK3 rules are not applying?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-03-10 18:09:14

learningxfce

Re: GTK2 rules on ~/.gtkrc-2.0 are not respected.

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Gtk/ColorScheme -t string -s "selected_bg_color: #ff0000" --create

Works flawlessly, thanks!

About the GTK3 rules I meant for the theme, like

.background {
  color: #5c616c;
  background-color: rgba(245, 246, 247, 0.999); }

they don't apply either. But it doesn't really matter as I don't want to theme GTK3. I was just trying to add what I thought was useful information.

Many thanks!

Board footer