Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-11 20:23:23

Xexan

Mousepad configuration problems

After installing Debian Buster Testing with XFCE, the print preview function did not work in Mousepad and AbiWord. I discovered that I needed to create file ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini and put in

gtk-print-preview-command = atril --unlink-tempfile --preview --print-settings %s %f

Now print preview works in both, but in Mousepad I can't find any way to set page layout properties and it doesn't respect my global printer layout settings. Where do I set page layout for Mousepad?

Also, putting this in settings.ini has worked with other GTK+3 programs but isn't working with Mousepad.

gtk-cursor-blink = 0

Where do I set cursor properties for Mousepad?

BTW, should it be reported as a bug that ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini was not created by the installer?

Thanks

#2 2019-03-11 21:31:01

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Mousepad configuration problems

Hello and welcome.

As for the blinking cursor, it doesn't look like mousepad can deal with it, but you can disable blinking cursors Xfce-wide:

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/CursorBlink -s false

...which should bring the same results as putting it in settings.ini.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-03-12 02:15:02

Xexan

Thanks. I think that will do it.

I looked at the list of setting available to xconf and it looks like the same things, but with different syntax, that go in settings.ini. Does xconf just completely duplicate the gtk-3.0 settings set? Is there also an alternate method for setting the style properties that go in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css?

Now I'm left with page setup. I really just want to be able to set margins. Can it be done in/for Mousepad?

#4 2019-03-12 10:59:16

ToZ
Administrator

Xexan wrote:

I looked at the list of setting available to xconf and it looks like the same things, but with different syntax, that go in settings.ini. Does xconf just completely duplicate the gtk-3.0 settings set? Is there also an alternate method for setting the style properties that go in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css?

I'm not sure if it completely duplicates all of the settings. Here are the ones that it currently manages (from the source code):

dialogs/display-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (display_channel, "/IdentityPopups", G_TYPE_BOOLEAN, identify,
dialogs/display-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (display_channel, "/Notify", G_TYPE_BOOLEAN, check,
dialogs/display-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (display_channel, "/AutoEnableProfiles", G_TYPE_BOOLEAN, check,
dialogs/keyboard-settings/xfce-keyboard-settings.c:  xfconf_g_property_bind (settings->priv->keyboards_channel, "/Default/KeyRepeat", G_TYPE_BOOLEAN, G_OBJECT (xkb_key_repeat_check), "active");
dialogs/keyboard-settings/xfce-keyboard-settings.c:  xfconf_g_property_bind (settings->priv->keyboards_channel, "/Default/KeyRepeat/Rate", G_TYPE_INT, xkb_key_repeat_rate, "value");
dialogs/keyboard-settings/xfce-keyboard-settings.c:  xfconf_g_property_bind (settings->priv->keyboards_channel, "/Default/KeyRepeat/Delay", G_TYPE_INT, xkb_key_repeat_delay, "value");
dialogs/keyboard-settings/xfce-keyboard-settings.c:  xfconf_g_property_bind (settings->priv->keyboards_channel, "/Default/RestoreNumlock", G_TYPE_BOOLEAN, xkb_numlock, "active");
dialogs/keyboard-settings/xfce-keyboard-settings.c:  xfconf_g_property_bind (settings->priv->xsettings_channel, "/Net/CursorBlink", G_TYPE_BOOLEAN, G_OBJECT (net_cursor_blink_check), "active");
dialogs/keyboard-settings/xfce-keyboard-settings.c:  xfconf_g_property_bind (settings->priv->xsettings_channel, "/Net/CursorBlinkTime", G_TYPE_INT, net_cursor_blink_time, "value");
dialogs/keyboard-settings/xfce-keyboard-settings.c:  xfconf_g_property_bind (settings->priv->keyboard_layout_channel, "/Default/XkbDisable", G_TYPE_BOOLEAN,
dialogs/appearance-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (xsettings_channel, "/Gtk/CanChangeAccels", G_TYPE_BOOLEAN,
dialogs/appearance-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (xsettings_channel, "/Gtk/MenuImages", G_TYPE_BOOLEAN,
dialogs/appearance-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (xsettings_channel, "/Gtk/ButtonImages", G_TYPE_BOOLEAN,
dialogs/appearance-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (xsettings_channel,  "/Gtk/FontName", G_TYPE_STRING,
dialogs/appearance-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (xsettings_channel,  "/Gtk/MonospaceFontName", G_TYPE_STRING,
dialogs/appearance-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (xsettings_channel, "/Net/EnableEventSounds", G_TYPE_BOOLEAN,
dialogs/appearance-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (xsettings_channel, "/Net/EnableInputFeedbackSounds", G_TYPE_BOOLEAN,
dialogs/accessibility-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (session_channel, "/general/StartAssistiveTechnologies", G_TYPE_BOOLEAN, object, "active");
dialogs/accessibility-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (accessibility_channel, "/StickyKeys", G_TYPE_BOOLEAN, object, "active");
dialogs/accessibility-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (accessibility_channel, "/StickyKeys/LatchToLock", G_TYPE_BOOLEAN, object, "active");
dialogs/accessibility-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (accessibility_channel, "/StickyKeys/TwoKeysDisable", G_TYPE_BOOLEAN, object, "active");
dialogs/accessibility-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (accessibility_channel, "/SlowKeys", G_TYPE_BOOLEAN, object, "active");
dialogs/accessibility-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (accessibility_channel, "/SlowKeys/Delay", G_TYPE_INT, object, "value");
dialogs/accessibility-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (accessibility_channel, "/BounceKeys", G_TYPE_BOOLEAN, object, "active");
dialogs/accessibility-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (accessibility_channel, "/BounceKeys/Delay", G_TYPE_INT, object, "value");
dialogs/accessibility-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (accessibility_channel, "/MouseKeys", G_TYPE_BOOLEAN, object, "active");
dialogs/accessibility-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (accessibility_channel, "/MouseKeys/Delay", G_TYPE_INT, object, "value");
dialogs/accessibility-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (accessibility_channel, "/MouseKeys/Interval", G_TYPE_INT, object, "value");
dialogs/accessibility-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (accessibility_channel, "/MouseKeys/TimeToMax", G_TYPE_INT, object, "value");
dialogs/accessibility-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (accessibility_channel, "/MouseKeys/MaxSpeed", G_TYPE_INT, object, "value");
dialogs/accessibility-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (accessibility_channel, "/MouseKeys/Curve", G_TYPE_INT, object, "value");
dialogs/accessibility-settings/main.c:    xfconf_g_property_bind (accessibility_channel, "/FindCursor", G_TYPE_BOOLEAN, object, "active");
dialogs/mouse-settings/main.c:            xfconf_g_property_bind (pointers_channel, "/DisableTouchpadWhileTyping",
dialogs/mouse-settings/main.c:            xfconf_g_property_bind (pointers_channel, "/DisableTouchpadDuration",
dialogs/mouse-settings/main.c:            xfconf_g_property_bind (xsettings_channel, "/Gtk/CursorThemeSize",
dialogs/mouse-settings/main.c:            xfconf_g_property_bind (xsettings_channel, "/Net/DndDragThreshold",
dialogs/mouse-settings/main.c:            xfconf_g_property_bind (xsettings_channel, "/Net/DoubleClickTime",
dialogs/mouse-settings/main.c:            xfconf_g_property_bind (xsettings_channel, "/Net/DoubleClickDistance",

Now I'm left with page setup. I really just want to be able to set margins. Can it be done in/for Mousepad?

Unfortunately, I don't see that option available in Mousepad. You can create an enhancement request over at the bug tracker if you'd like to follow up on it.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2019-03-14 17:00:54

Xexan

I have found that any time XFCE ignores ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini, the settings will be found in ~/.config/xfce/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/*.xml.

I found cursor blinking control from the menu through Settings > Settings Manager > Keyboard. The resulting settings were in xsettings.xml. Also, so far I have found that all settings in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css are respected. For example:

* {
-GtkWidget-cursor-aspect-ratio: 0.1;
caret-color: #0000EE;
}

Is the printing font hardcoded in Mousepad? Nothing I've tried has been able to change it.

#6 2019-03-14 17:26:13

ToZ
Administrator

Xexan wrote:

Is the printing font hardcoded in Mousepad? Nothing I've tried has been able to change it.

On the print dialog, there are a number of tabs - including Document Settings where you can set the print font. However, the change doesn't get saved. Note that mousepad uses gsettings for it's configuration and you can view these settings via dconf-editor.

Here is a list of al current mousepad settings that can be saved and persist from use to use.

#7 2019-03-14 19:44:32

Xexan

Doh! I was assuming that print settings would be saved in a configuration file somewhere.

BTW, I found that the "Close" icon in tabs is broken. Mousepad is looking for gtk-close.png, which isn't included in recent distributions of the GNOME/Tango icons. I downloaded the PNGs and dropped them into usr/share/icons/Tango and then ran gtk-update-icon-cache and it was fixed.

I got the PNGs at http://200.144.1.139/share/icons/gnome/

Last edited by Xexan (2019-03-14 19:58:23)

#8 2019-03-14 21:36:36

ToZ
Administrator

Feel free to create an enhancement request at the bug tracker to add the print options to the list of saved properties. Possibly also to include a default gtk-close icon in the package.

Board footer