Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-16 20:38:12

yurbev

BPG commands and Animated BPG as alternative to Multi-Page TIFF

A way to create a substitute for Multi-Page TIFF with BPG is to create a BPG Animation instead. BPG viewers such as Honeyview (which works well through WINE) allow you to cycle through individual frames using various keys, rotation, filters, copy a frame/image to the clipboard for pasting outside the program. On Honeyview the spacebar is used to pause the animation and the arrow keys are used for browsing the frames/images.

I tested this on 100 png images 168.9mb in size and the resulting Animated BPG was 7.2mb, with no discernible loss of quality. When testing on the same images converted to JPG the size improvement of the Animated BPG was negligible, at 6.5mb.

The reason I wouldn't try this with Animated GIFs is because I'm not sure if GIF viewers allow you to cycle through frames and also, of course, because the GIF file size would be enormous, as would a multi-page TIFF with 100 images. In the past I've converted image to MP4 with a fast FPS, a method which also allows for viewing individual frames, significantly reduces the size of the combined images, but isn't nearly as flexible.

I imagine creating an Animated BPG from 100 BPG images would further reduce the size, but I haven't yet been able to do this for some reason. I get the following error:

bpgenc -a output_%03d.bpg -o out.bpg
Not a JPEG file: starts with 0x42 0x50

This is the command I used to create the Animated BPG:

bpgenc -a output_%03d.png -o out.bpg

This command will allow you to convert multiple JPGs and PNGs to BPG:

for file in *.jpg *.png; do bpgenc "$file" -o output."$(date +"%Y%m%d.%H%M%S%3N")".bpg; done

Last edited by yurbev (2019-03-16 21:30:56)

Board footer