Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-30 20:19:12

Frisbee

Thunar : Side pane and location selector icon colors in GTK theme

Hi,

The GTK theme Matcha has a dark background colour for Thunar side pane and location selector. When using Papirus icon theme, the icons for Home and Trash in the side pane are also dark which makes them almost invisible (same with the icon to the left of path in location selector in Toolbar style). There is a light version for Papirus (Papirus-Dark), but using this makes the icons invisible everywhere else (Please see the GitHub issue).

I thought these icon colours can be fixed in the GTK theme (and not in Thunar source).
I have tried to find out the relevant CSS style using GTK Inspector but has not been successful yet. The theme has customization for XFCE here.

Any helpful information?

XFCE 4.12
Thunar 1.8.4
Arch Linux

EDIT: The issue can also be seen with Arc-Darker version of Arc GTK theme.

Last edited by Frisbee (2019-03-30 20:39:33)

#2 2019-03-30 22:10:44

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Thunar : Side pane and location selector icon colors in GTK theme

Hello and welcome.

The issue here is that those icons are taken directly from the icon theme. These two-toned themes will always pose a problem for symbolic themes - especially if the dark theme colour is the same colour (or similar) to the colour of the dark icon set. Arc-Darker has the same problem.

Unfortunately, I don't believe you can fix this with gtk configuration.

In the linked bug report, you noted that using the dark version of the icon theme causes problems in other apps. Can you give an example of which apps and where? In my limited tests, Papirus-Dark looks okay.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-03-30 22:47:20

Frisbee

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Using Papirus-Dark with the mentioned themes will make icons invisible in almost every GTK application using the icon theme (the symbolic ones, I guess). The GitHub issue shows Xfmpc, but it happens for Bulk Rename, Inkscape, Gaupol, parts of Quod Libet, menu icons for GTK applications etc. which looks like a larger issue and therefore did not seem to be the right solution.

One solution would be to change the background colour to light in both side pane and location selector. But thought of ruling out the possibility of changing icons before going for that.

How is that the toolbar shows light icons in the dark background with just the Papirus theme (in the GitHub images; which apparently seems to suggest that it could be fixed in the GTK theme)?

EDIT : Another solution would to switch to ePapirus theme that comes with Papirus.

Last edited by Frisbee (2019-03-30 23:00:04)

#4 2019-03-31 01:28:50

ToZ
Administrator

Frisbee wrote:

How is that the toolbar shows light icons in the dark background with just the Papirus theme (in the GitHub images; which apparently seems to suggest that it could be fixed in the GTK theme)?

Those are set to use the symbolic icons so they can be colored. Perhaps you could file a bug report asking that those other icons be also changed to use their symbolic counterparts?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2019-03-31 04:40:14

Frisbee

OK. I guess Nautilus does that for the side pane.
Thanks.

EDIT : Some thing which I missed. Papirus has instructions for Xfce users here. Following them gives good results with ePapirus icons.

Last edited by Frisbee (2019-04-20 14:17:45)

Board footer