Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-31 18:46:30

oui

is XFCE adaptable?

Using now Deepin, I want to add XFCE. For me are both Deepin and XFCE relatively new. And for that reason I meet now standard applications being foreing for me.

I want to use the same background picture as Deepin uses itself.

I want to use some of the standard applications (own Deepin applications! Deepin supplies a lot of applications being good and perfect integrated. Why not continue to use them if you have decided to use Deepin) like Deepin Terminal or Editor etc.

And I want to use Rox-filer out the foot bar of XFCE as well as my usual browser (a standard browser of Lubuntu minimal in the last years - as it is "the" secure browser and does in Deepin all that what I require from a browser, why to change?).

Also 3 points where I will change the standard definition of XFCE.

Where are those settings of XFCE to find?

#2 2019-03-31 19:30:14

ToZ
Administrator

Re: is XFCE adaptable?

There are a number of ways to get the same thing done in Xfce. I'll list one or two methods with each answer.

oui wrote:

I want to use the same background picture as Deepin uses itself.

Find the wallpaper using the Thunar file manager, right-click and select "Set as Wallpaper". More desktop settings can be found by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting "Desktop Settings".

I want to use some of the standard applications (own Deepin applications! Deepin supplies a lot of applications being good and perfect integrated. Why not continue to use them if you have decided to use Deepin) like Deepin Terminal or Editor etc.

They should all continue to work. If Deepin follows the XDG menu specification, they will show up on Xfce's menus.

And I want to use Rox-filer out the foot bar of XFCE as well as my usual browser (a standard browser of Lubuntu minimal in the last years - as it is "the" secure browser and does in Deepin all that what I require from a browser, why to change?).

Not exactly clear on what you are referring to, but if you want to add an application to the panel for easy access, right-click the panel and select Panel>Add new items and add a new "Launcher". When added, right-click the launcer and select Properties to set it to launch Rox-filer. Or follow this HOWTO.

The biggest challenge you will have is trying to get a similar look and feel between the two. Deepin is built on the QT toolkit while Xfce is built on the GTK toolkit. Theming both toolkits to look similar can be a challenge. Have a read through this Arch wiki article to get some ideas if you get stuck.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-03-31 20:24:56

oui

wonderful answer, thank you very much.

a question concerning:

«Not exactly clear on what you are referring to, but if you want to add an application to the panel for easy access, right-click the panel and select Panel>Add new items and add a new "Launcher". When added, right-click the launcer and select Properties to set it to launch Rox-filer. Or follow this HOWTO.»

The HOWTO goes until item 6.

At item 7. the system proposes nothing (only 3 applications being clock, orage panel clock and pulseAudio plugin). How to add more (not only Rox ! I know that Rox is not welcome at the most Linux environment although it is so powerful but other one like Seamonkey, yes deepin did continue to supply it for the users willing Mozilla but not FF, and I, I use Seamonkey -editor as it is de facto the only one wysyg HTML editor in the Linux world as komposer and bluegriffon did be abandoned!)?

#4 2019-03-31 21:02:45

ToZ
Administrator

oui wrote:

At item 7. the system proposes nothing (only 3 applications being clock, orage panel clock and pulseAudio plugin). How to add more

Click the Plus Sign (+) to see which other plugins you can add. Make sure you install a package called "xfce4-goodies" to have a more complete list of plugins.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer