Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-04 03:10:18

Skaperen

looking for a big digital clock

i want to run a big digital clock.  the xclock has a -digital option but all that does is put the time in text.  it does not expand with the window like analog mode does.  anyone know of a big digital clock program?  even better if it can do seconds and/or 24 hours like i see in hospital.

#2 2019-04-04 10:11:30

alcornoqui

Re: looking for a big digital clock

You might have the "Date and time plugin" (xfce4-datetime-plugin) for the Xfce panel already installed. It's also part of the xfce4-goodies metapackage.

#3 2019-04-04 16:32:42

mint4all

Hi ...

Depending on your own preferences, there are a number of options. One is the "conky" app -- tricky to configure but enormously flexible (but comes with a lot of baggage imho). Another is to either use xfce's "Clock" and/or "Date and Time" applet(s), perhaps in their very own auto-hide panel (tested this and is actually quite usable; alas, font sizes only work up to 52 points and then get clipped by the panel's border paddings); the one option i use is the "variety" backdrop changer which also has a "Clock" option (very flexible and tweakable, imho). Just a few ideas ...

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#4 2019-04-05 00:51:29

Skaperen

i found "dclock" already installed.  looks nice.

#5 2019-04-05 15:41:41

mint4all

Skaperen wrote:

i found "dclock" already installed.  looks nice.

Great find smile

I looked over my systems (Linux Mint XFCE-builds) and couldn't find "dclock" installed. Though present in the repos and listed in synaptic, that just demonstrates one more time that ubuntu-based distro's, like Mint's, don't inherit all the goodies 'buntu bundled in its flavors. Just for kicks, installed this and i like it. Since it doesn't come with its own .desktop file, thus won't show up in xfce's menus, i created a corresponding launcher/button on the main panel to start the clock. If i keep it, i'd be tempted to auto-start it at startup.

Thanks for the tip! m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#6 2019-04-05 23:15:20

Skaperen

well, my system started out as Ubuntu 16.04 and i have not removed any packages, yet.  if you don't have it, then i assume your setup didn't include it, but if you want to try it, you know what to do.  i'm just saying i was lucky to already have it.  when i saw the name of another clock program i did a search of every bin subdirectory of /usr and found that one.  i tried "man dclock", first.

Last edited by Skaperen (2019-04-05 23:17:55)

Board footer