Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-11 20:41:09

Vlijmen Fileer

Hello!

And a question.  Reason for signing up also.

I've been wanting to try some simple Linux GUI programming for a while.  As I use XFCE, I was thinking of keeping with GTK plus the few XFCE specific GUI libs I think exist.

Now I've toyed with a few tools in an attempt to achieve this, from simple editors to full-fledged IDEs.  Yet I've not been able to ascertain what the best way to start is?  I'd feel best with an IDE that allows me to design the GUI with a GUI tool, that can make a skeleton GTK/XFCE GUI project, and which integrates with git and github.

What would be the best option for something like that?
Any examples available?
Any other helpful remarks?
... smile

Thanks in afvance!

#2 2019-05-11 21:07:12

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Hello!

Hello and welcome.

Maybe best to ask this at the xfce4-dev mailing list to see what other developers use. You can use glade to design the screen and any IDE.

Oddly enough, I used visual studio code for the last bit of work I did on the genmon plugin (but I manually design/work on the GUI in the code).

Here is a good blog entry by one of the developers on getting started with Xfce develolpment.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-05-13 08:17:28

Vlijmen Fileer

Re: Hello!

Thanks smile

I subscribed to the mailing list will read that blog post and its links.  It does look however already like there is no real "introduction into XFCE development"?  I guess second best is then to just fetch the source of one of the simpler apps and start studying.

Board footer