Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-15 06:21:22

sushi

[SOLVED] Buggy panels since 4.14 ?

Hi,

I'm on Arch and since the last xfce updates the panel behavior has changed.

They are now two new opacity buttons under appearance and if I set them to 0 % the icons disappear in the panels, so I'm forced to put an amount of opacity to see the icons of open programs.

The second consequence of the updates is that if I put the "hidden panel" on "intelligent" they don't show up if I'm going on them with the mouse.

I get also this error :

(xfce4-panel:4898): xfce4-panel-CRITICAL **: 07:44:18.793: panel-window.c:3086 (panel_window_thaw_autohide): expression 'window->autohide_block > 0' failed.

And now yay (AUR) is complaining about :

:: Searching AUR for updates...
-> Missing AUR Packages:  gtk-xfce-engine

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by sushi (2019-08-18 16:57:20)

#2 2019-08-15 07:23:33

ozjd
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Buggy panels since 4.14 ?

The 4.14 announcement said that gtk-xfce-engine has been archived. That error needs to be sorted by your distro now the package isn't available.

Or maybe you need to remove it from your system if that is causing the error,

Last edited by ozjd (2019-08-15 07:24:09)

#3 2019-08-15 07:27:33

ozjd
Website

For the first panel issue if you want transparent panels the alpha setting has been hidden. It used to be on the appearance tab but has been moved to the colour selection dialogue and not labelled.

To modify the alpha setting go to the Appearance tab and select Solid Colour under Background – Style, click on the colour that appears and in the colour selection screen click to add a custom colour. A dialogue to set the colour appears with an un-labelled slider in the lower part of the box. This is the hidden alpha setting. Set the desired level of transparency here and if not set to zero you will need select the colour too.

#4 2019-08-15 10:38:06

ToZ
Administrator

In addition to ozjd's responses....

sushi wrote:

The second consequence of the updates is that if I put the "hidden panel" on "intelligent" they don't show up if I'm going on them with the mouse.

The intelligently setting will hide the panel if another window comes close and show if the window moves away. The mouse has no effect in this setting. If you use the "Always" setting, then the mouse can be used to pop the panel out again.

(xfce4-panel:4898): xfce4-panel-CRITICAL **: 07:44:18.793: panel-window.c:3086 (panel_window_thaw_autohide): expression 'window->autohide_block > 0' failed.

This one is interesting. Can you identify which action causes the message? Is it repeatable? It might have something to do with the panel set to intelligent ide, and you opening a non-standard window (a game or a full screen app).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2019-08-15 16:33:57

sushi

Hi,

Thanks ozjd for the tip about the hidden alpha setting. I could get what I wanted.

For the missing gtk-xfce-engine, I don't have it installed and I don't really know where that complain comes from, let see in few days...

@ ToZ : I use Deadbeef as music player and before the updates the panel was showing up with the icon in the notification area and I could click on the deadbeef icon to open/close the window or rise/lower the volume. Now I can't anymore.

For the panel error, I couldn't identify the origin and it seems to have vanished but it's not caused by a non-standart (I don't play any games) nor full screen program (I have tested without any error). As soon as get the error and the reason I will post it.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for you help.

#6 2019-08-15 18:09:30

ToZ
Administrator

sushi wrote:

@ ToZ : I use Deadbeef as music player and before the updates the panel was showing up with the icon in the notification area and I could click on the deadbeef icon to open/close the window or rise/lower the volume. Now I can't anymore.

I'm confused. Is the panel no longer displaying the icon for you to click on or does clicking on the deadbeef icon not create a menu?

Can you post back the results of your xfce4-panel configuration?

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#7 2019-08-17 09:20:06

sushi

Sorry for the confusion... The panel is displaying the icon and the right click on the icon is showing the menu as expected.

But before when deadbeef's window  was open the panel was showing up at the same time and trough the icon in the panel (notification area) I could rise/lower the volume and click on the icon to close the window. Now, the panel is not showing up while deadbeef window is open, so that I need to close the vindow to rise/lower the volume and if I reduce the window I get a second deadbeef's icon in the window buttons area which was also not the case.

Abyway I have found a workaround, if I thouch the upper left corner the panel will show up, so it's ok.

Let me know if I'm clear enough ?

Thanks

Here the ouput :

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv
/configver                         2
/panels                            <<UNSUPPORTED>>
/panels/panel-1/autohide-behavior  1
/panels/panel-1/background-rgba    <<UNSUPPORTED>>
/panels/panel-1/background-style   1
/panels/panel-1/disable-struts     true
/panels/panel-1/enter-opacity      100
/panels/panel-1/leave-opacity      100
/panels/panel-1/length             100
/panels/panel-1/length-adjust      false
/panels/panel-1/plugin-ids         <<UNSUPPORTED>>
/panels/panel-1/position           p=11;x=124;y=21
/panels/panel-1/position-locked    true
/panels/panel-1/size               40
/plugins/plugin-1                  whiskermenu
/plugins/plugin-2                  systray
/plugins/plugin-2/names-ordered    <<UNSUPPORTED>>
/plugins/plugin-2/show-frame       false
/plugins/plugin-2/size-max         22
/plugins/plugin-2/square-icons     false
/plugins/plugin-3                  mailwatch
/plugins/plugin-5                  tasklist
/plugins/plugin-5/flat-buttons     true
/plugins/plugin-5/show-handle      false
/plugins/plugin-5/show-labels      false
/plugins/plugin-5/sort-order       4
/plugins/plugin-6                  separator
/plugins/plugin-6/expand           true
/plugins/plugin-6/style            0
/plugins/plugin-7                  separator
/plugins/plugin-7/expand           true
/plugins/plugin-7/style            0
/plugins/plugin-8                  weather

Edit : Another "strange" behavior is that when the panel set to "always hidden" I have to touch the upper left corner to make it visible but before I could just touch anywhere, is that "normal" ?

Last edited by sushi (2019-08-17 10:29:02)

#8 2019-08-17 10:31:31

Jerry3904

For me on 4.14 nothing has changed: Edit > Preferences > GUI/Misc tab, uncheck "Hide system tray icon." I have never been able to control volume by scrolling over the DB icon.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the problem...

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#9 2019-08-17 13:31:08

sushi

@ Jerry3904 : Look under Edit > Preferences > plugins > GTK3 user interface > configure > (the second line) if systray icon sensitivity is set to 1.

I can since always control the volume trough the systray icon.

#10 2019-08-17 14:42:44

Jerry3904

Thanks, but not here--is set to 1 already. But this is not important since the speaker icon is right next to it.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#11 2019-08-18 17:00:14

sushi

I have marked this thread as solved because I could get the behavior that I had before the updates as explained in #7.

#12 2020-03-13 21:43:50

Reaccion Raul

I got this same problem on MX Linux 19.1 with intellihide on a top horizontal panel. before when I hovered the mouse over the top border of the screen the panel did appear. Now only if I hover on the top left corner. On 4.12 (Xubuntu 18.04) it used to work by hovering over the whole top. Not sure if it's a bug or it was changed on purpose, but the previous behavior was much better.

#13 2020-03-20 06:55:44

Reaccion Raul

Reaccion Raul wrote:

I got this same problem on MX Linux 19.1 with intellihide on a top horizontal panel. before when I hovered the mouse over the top border of the screen the panel did appear. Now only if I hover on the top left corner. On 4.12 (Xubuntu 18.04) it used to work by hovering over the whole top. Not sure if it's a bug or it was changed on purpose, but the previous behavior was much better.

I fixed this, it seems it isn't an XFCE bug, it's a MX bug. If you change the panel settings directly from XFCE panel settings the behavior it's weird, if you change it across the MX Tweaks tool, it behaves properly.

So I guess it's some type of rare conflict across the tools.

Last edited by Reaccion Raul (2020-03-20 06:56:48)

Board footer