Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-07 04:37:48

Skaperen

it's Xfce processes that are hanging my shutdowns

since moving to Xubuntu 18.04i have been having a 2 minute wait to complete a shutdown or reboot.  if i switch to a text-mode console and kill all the user processes (a hard kill -9) then a shutdown is quick.  when a user logs out, there are still some of these processes still running.  should this be the case?  when i start up, my admin user autologs in.  if i don't login any other user, a shutdown is quick.  but if i even login one user and log it out, a shutdown has that 2 minute wait.  even if i leave it logged in, there is that 2 minute wait.  any idea what i should do?  this is driving me bonkers.

#2 2019-09-07 14:57:53

kunzlata

Re: it's Xfce processes that are hanging my shutdowns

From your activity in the forum, I can say you know much more about software than me. But xfce does leave many user processes running after logout and I think that's some flaw in xfce4-session.
If you install something simple like icewm then you can test by logging into it after a fresh boot and then shutdown.

#3 2019-09-07 15:29:58

ToZ
Administrator

You can use systemd to force kill all user processes on logout. Uncomment and set to "yes", the "KillUserProcesses" line in /etc/systemd/logind.conf.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2019-09-07 17:38:52

kunzlata

ToZ wrote:

You can use systemd to force kill all user processes on logout. Uncomment and set to "yes", the "KillUserProcesses" line in /etc/systemd/logind.conf.

Thank for the resource, ToZ. But this doesn't seem like a solution as it's set to 'no' for a reason. But the Xfce session, which is started when we log into it, should obviously be terminated when we log out of it.

As for the issue in this post, maybe Skaperen could just log out and examine the running processes in another tty?

#5 2019-09-07 18:23:55

ToZ
Administrator

This is probably an Xfce  bug. However, setting "KillUserProcesses=yes" will kill those errant processes on log out in the meantime. However, it's important to also understand the side effects of that setting.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2019-09-07 20:21:57

Skaperen

kunzlata wrote:

As for the issue in this post, maybe Skaperen could just log out and examine the running processes in another tty?

BTDT

there are many

but my real issue is how many of them stay after getting the SIGTERM from doing shutdown?  the hard kill, SIGKILL, is delayed 2 minutes for a reason.  i don't want to shorten that in case something is causing final saves by servers to be slow.  if something is ignoring SIGTERM then it needs to be fixed.  but just what that something is, i don't yet know.

Board footer