Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-05 09:43:21

Tabespe

discussion about a suggestion: Tags

Hello,

Basically, I've got hundreds of files that I'd like to organise by keywords (not just photos or audio files, but PDFs of academic papers, etc.). I don't want to bother creating a structure with symbolic links, as that's too cumbersome.

What I need are hierarchical tags. XnView has a tool to do this:
https://www.bilder-upload.eu/bild-64cb3 … 7.jpg.html

This works.
But that's not user-friendly enough:
Whenever you save a document in any program, you have to choose the path where you want to save it. So if I now save a document in any path, I have to start XnView afterwards, choose the same path and then I can assign the tags.

My suggestion: The save dialog of Xfce should be extended so that you can not only select the path, but at the same time you can assign tags to the document. Here you can see a possible fictitious save dialogue from any program:
https://www.bilder-upload.eu/bild-ecbd7 … 2.jpg.html

(As advanced feature, there could be a possibility to link together a path and its children with those taggs that are often needed in this particular path and its children.)

Question 1: Should this be implemented through Xfce, MX Linux or Debian? Which is the right development environment?
Question 2: Is there already another solution to do this, that works fine and userfriendly? (Tagging)
Question 3: Would you also appreciate to have this, or don't you need such tagging functionality?

Last edited by Tabespe (2019-12-05 17:48:23)

#2 2019-12-05 22:59:35

Skaperen

Re: discussion about a suggestion: Tags

why can't XnView (be modified to) do the saving for you?  that way both functions are done in the same application.  what is tagging ... that is ... how are tags stored?  the developer me can imagine zillions of ways to do that.  but for this, it would be essential to do it the way XnView does.  but wait.  what if someone else is using a different app that saves its tags in a different form.  which way should Xfce do it?

#3 2019-12-06 18:18:41

Tabespe

Re: discussion about a suggestion: Tags

Thank you for bringing the discussion into run.

Skaperen wrote:

why can't XnView (be modified to) do the saving for you?  that way both functions are done in the same application.

Not sure if you understand me right or if I understand you right.
When I save anything in any program, then the dialog window for saving is not from XnViewMP. So I guess there is no possibility to modify XnViewMP to get an other saving dialog window throughout the system. Or is it?
As I am not familiar with linux and xfce I do not know from where any program has its dialog window "save under". From xfcs? From debian? From the program itself?

Skaperen wrote:

what is tagging ... that is ... how are tags stored?  the developer me can imagine zillions of ways to do that.  but for this, it would be essential to do it the way XnView does.

I only mentioned XnViewMP in post #1 to say that this solution is not enough for me. I don't think Xfce should take the tagging method from XnViewMP. Of course, Xfce would have to find its own way of doing this. I'm not attached to XnView, but it's the only application I've found that can do that. But as you have just mentioned, this is not the solution, because Xfce should not follow a program like XnViewMP, but implement its own method. And I do not longer need XnViewMP then.

Skaperen wrote:

but wait.  what if someone else is using a different app that saves its tags in a different form.  which way should Xfce do it?

Whenever an app wants to save a file, Xfce should be aware of it and provide the tag method of Xfce in the appearing "save dialog window". So it is not a tagging method of the corresponding App. (because normally Apps have no tagging method at all) but it is always the tagging method of Xfce.

When creating tags with XnViewMP, Xfce has no awareness of my tags. And this is part of my suggestion: Please implement an XFce tagging solution.

Last edited by Tabespe (2019-12-06 18:38:06)

Board footer