Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-06 20:00:45

Jerry3904

Anybody seeing touchpad changes with 4.14?

With the release of MX-19 with its DE of Xfce 4.14, we are seeing a certain number of users (and I am one) for whom the touchpad is so sensitive that any article of clothing or hand/palm brushing on it will drive the mouse crazy. After fiddling with Settings > Mouse and Touchpad, most of us have resorted to the well-written older app touchpad-indicator that we ported to our repos.

So my questions:

1) are other people using 4.14, Debian-based or not, seeing erratic mouse behavior linked to the touchpad?

2) if yes, does clicking to disable the touchpad while typing take care of it?

3) if no, what are the touchpad settings you are using for sensitivity and acceleration?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Jerry3904 (2019-12-06 20:01:10)

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#2 2019-12-07 14:44:46

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Anybody seeing touchpad changes with 4.14?

Jerry,

I just booted up the MX-19 ISO and didn't notice anything erratic on my system with it. I have an HP laptop with a synaptics touchpad:

$ grep -e "Using input driver " /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[     7.941] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad'

MX seems to have the synaptics driver installed and enabled by default (note that it is now deprecated and no longer being actively developed).

Try using libinput for the touchpad to see if it makes a difference. The easiest way to enable it is to uninstall the xserver-xorg-input-synaptics package and restart your X session. You can still configure the mouse acceleration in the Mouse and Touchpad settings area, but other options will need to be configured manually.

Re-installing the xserver-xorg-input-synaptics package will return you back to the default config.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-12-07 17:56:11

Jerry3904

Re: Anybody seeing touchpad changes with 4.14?

Thanks for the suggestion. Dolphin Oracle has already begun clearing out old drivers, so this from you is timely.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

Board footer