Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-07 09:39:33

nPHYN1T3

Panel Size (units) xfce4-panel 4.12.2 (Xfce 4.12)

Wondering if there was any way to change the panel width unit. Right now it's locked as a % which seems rather incongruent given all the other measurements are in pixels. Worse is for me % means I can't scale the panel correctly. I want the panel to be full width across one screen 1920px however all I can do is select in % which for me 1900.8 (33%) or 1958.4 (34%).

#2 2020-01-07 16:04:38

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Panel Size (units) xfce4-panel 4.12.2 (Xfce 4.12)

Hello and welcome.

nPHYN1T3 wrote:

Wondering if there was any way to change the panel width unit. Right now it's locked as a % which seems rather incongruent given all the other measurements are in pixels.

Unfortunately, it uses an integer value (% of screen width).

I want the panel to be full width across one screen 1920px however all I can do is select in % which for me 1900.8 (33%) or 1958.4 (34%).

In the panel properties, make sure that "Span Monitors" is unchecked and set the Output to the display that you want the panel on.
panel.png

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-01-08 14:42:36

nPHYN1T3

Span Monitors isn't checked but it won't matter because the system thinks I only have a single monitor. This is the crux of the issue because the percents are wrong per screen as I explained. Each screen is 1920 for a total of 5760 wide. The system only sees the single screen 5760px wide leaving the percentages wrong for a per screen fit 1900.8 (33%) or 1958.4 (34%).

Not sure what the rational is behind making everything Px BUT that one thing then not giving the user the choice of unit. Either way if there is no way (couldn't find anything in xfconf) I'd like to request the feature/option.

xfwm doesn't seem to work correctly in general even if I disable Xinerama where there is an inconsistent window behavior where somethings comprehend each screen while others span all 3 screens on the specific GPU they are on. This isn't to say I'm bluring panel sizing issues into an xfwm problem but just saying a lot of things don't work or allow the user to choose to make them work correctly in a given set up. The panel behaved correctly previously but as soon as there are more than one GPU various xfce components seem to get a tad screwy.

Last edited by nPHYN1T3 (2020-01-08 14:47:06)

#4 2020-01-08 17:03:11

ToZ
Administrator

nPHYN1T3 wrote:

Span Monitors isn't checked but it won't matter because the system thinks I only have a single monitor. This is the crux of the issue because the percents are wrong per screen as I explained. Each screen is 1920 for a total of 5760 wide. The system only sees the single screen 5760px wide leaving the percentages wrong for a per screen fit 1900.8 (33%) or 1958.4 (34%).

Not sure what the rational is behind making everything Px BUT that one thing then not giving the user the choice of unit. Either way if there is no way (couldn't find anything in xfconf) I'd like to request the feature/option.

You can make enhancement requests at the bug tracker.

xfwm doesn't seem to work correctly in general even if I disable Xinerama where there is an inconsistent window behavior where somethings comprehend each screen while others span all 3 screens on the specific GPU they are on. This isn't to say I'm bluring panel sizing issues into an xfwm problem but just saying a lot of things don't work or allow the user to choose to make them work correctly in a given set up. The panel behaved correctly previously but as soon as there are more than one GPU various xfce components seem to get a tad screwy.

You would need to provide more specific information about which programs behave in which ways, but creating a bug report for this might be the way to go forward as well.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2020-01-09 10:59:28

nPHYN1T3

I will toss a feature request in then. As for the other stuff like I said I'm not trying to blur the lines of the issue. For me this is about the panel.

The rest of the stuff I'm pretty sure are technically not xfwm's fault. *pretty sure* he says...In all seriousness I'm fairly sure most the crazy stuff is due to the drivers having issues with differing geometry and timings. For example if I go to move a window once I click on the window to move it the window will shoot WAY out in a direction away from the mouse cursor while the mouse cursor will stay where it should be. I then have to move the window way past where I want it in a given direction / offset to place it. Seems like it's a geometry issue. I noticed this more with mismatched panel sizes. Comically this also makes dialogs pop up in crazy places. So right click something in the middle of monitor 6 and the dialog for it will jump up on monitor 3. Seems like the sane offset and placement checks are perhaps getting the wrong size info to determine sane placements.

As a side note all this is frustratingly funny. I normally am running 7 screens but I've been working towards a 13 screen set up (I have them all just have to revamp my desk/rack to fit things. However the idea was to clearly have everything laid out. Despite this dialogs and modal windows are like an easter egg hunt of where the hell is it/did it go because they never remember their XY POS and they jump around like ADHD children. Oh well...

Went to add bug says my login is invalid, poked around I guess the accounts are nor portable between subdomains?

Anyhow thanks for your replies.

Last edited by nPHYN1T3 (2020-01-09 11:18:48)

#6 2020-02-19 05:45:51

nPHYN1T3

So quick update. I've got another obnoxious issue that seems to be xfwm on my setup but digging around tonight I discovered something that seems to point out the panel size issue was a side effect from an embedded Xinerama in Xinerama situation in my xconf. Just on one GPU which happened to be where my panel was. That said my feature request stands since if I run a GPU 3 wide with Xinerama or any odd number of screens only sizing by % breaks the users ability to fit to a screen. Well in theory. There might be some whack panel size out there when paired with others works out to where a px and % width will line up.

Board footer