Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-06 21:17:55

MrEen

Question about CSD <SOLVED>

[preamble]
I can't grasp a decent understanding of CSD. No matter how much I tried to follow the other threads about it, and the Xfce links where it's been discussed, it seems my brain just wont go there.

As I understand it, I'm probably going to lose the titlebar that presently looks like like what's in the link, link to image, which is the best (for me) I found since leaving Windows. That's the titlebar of an active window. On the inactive windows, the buttons lose their color and blend nicely with the rest of the titlebar. This really works for me when doing something that requires numerous windows to be open and viewable at the same time so I know where the focus is.
[/preamble]

The question is, when Xfce makes the expected change, are the "window buttons" (I think they are not called that in CSD, unsure)  going to be themeable at all? Will the headerbars themselves be themeable in any fasion?

Backup question; With CSD, will there be something that can be done to help those that are somewhat visually challenged to distinguish the active window from inactive windows WITHOUT reducing the visibility of the inactive windows whatsoever?

What concerns me is let's say I have 6 windows showing on the screen that all look similar to this one. As it stands, I don't see how I'm going to easily recognize which window has the focus. I'm sure the inactive windows will have a slighter lighter shade of grey for the minimize/maximize/close "buttons", but that's not enough for my case, and others I'm sure. I need something that stands out more, visually.

Bonus question; In the last image, there's nothing on the window to indicate what app it is. Some of the other images on this page, do have window titles. How is that determined? Can the titles be forced on, or does it depend on how the window was coded? Seems strange with the talk of a "consistant ui" to then show windows where some have a title and some don't.

Last edited by MrEen (2020-03-06 22:43:26)

#2 2020-03-06 21:55:33

denyer
Website

Re: Question about CSD <SOLVED>

MrEen wrote:

The question is, when Xfce makes the expected change, are the "window buttons" (I think they are not called that in CSD, unsure)  going to be themeable at all? Will the headerbars themselves be themeable in any fasion?

To some extent. If you run, say, the Mint Xfce release from a LiveCD and/or in VirtualBox and open Archive Manager or Disks then you'll see what I mean -- a theme is being applied. It's just limited in what window buttons are shown (it ignores Xfwm4 configuration if you'd added a 'shade/rollup' or 'sticky' button, for example) and it's harder to control the padding so the headerbars tend to end up thicker and take more space. Window buttons can have their position moved, such as putting close buttons at the top left. It isn't possible to use certain other Xfwm4 functionality such as double-clicking a window border to maximise in one direction.

I suspect most themes that can be applied to CSD won't have enough differentiation for your needs, but people may be able to recommend ones that are better than others.

MrEen wrote:

In the last image, there's nothing on the window to indicate what app it is. Some of the other images on this page, do have window titles. How is that determined?

It's a free-for-all. Headerbars enable developers of individual applications to mess around with the consistency of the user experience by jamming non-window-management stuff into the same space. If they can't be bothered to include a window title because they felt like putting a search box there instead there won't be one shown.

MrEen wrote:

Seems strange with the talk of a "consistant ui" to then show windows where some have a title and some don't.

It's pure doublethink -- headerbars don't promote consistency.

Last edited by denyer (2020-03-06 21:56:01)

#3 2020-03-06 22:17:43

MrEen

Thanks so much for that denyer!

On my 18.3 Xfce install Archive Manager actually follows my WM theme. Disks uses the GTK theme, I'm guessing, which in my case actually has a control up there (hamburger-like thing) that is following my GTK2 theme. I think I live with that as long as there's something up there like that. Just noticed the whole bar also changes color, so yeah, I can work with this.

I haven't checked my 19.3 VM yet to see the differences there but will do so shortly.

Thanks again!

#4 2020-03-06 22:42:54

MrEen

I'm going to mark this solved.

I see now what can be changed, and am very relieved to say I live with this change. Not happy about it, but at least I won't have to find another DE.

I fired up the VM with Mint 19.3 where Archive Manager and Disks looked similar enough to see the differences between active and inactive and while it wasn't too distinguishable, I know changes can be made to get it to where I can be satisfied.

This issue was weighing rather heavily on me for the past several days and I can't tell you how relieved I am! I use older systems that don't work that well with Cinnamon. I've never tried MATE, but did Teamviewer into a users system that ran it and felt lost. Probably more to do with him using a Docky-like thing than anything else, but I just didn't feel comfortable in there. Xfce has always felt so comfortable to use, and always ran well on the crappy systems I've put it on. I didn't want to change, and now I know I wont have to. smile

Board footer