Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-05 04:27:18

apaz

Most workable way to remove xfwm window title bars

I found a forum post from a while back saying that I had essentially three options. Either use a blank theme, find a GTK theme that doesn't have one, or install a different window manager. After messing around trying to find such a theme, I decided to go for the first option, and created a blank theme, then went to Settings > Window Manager > Theme and selected it. Everything worked, and it went away.

What I'm having issues with now is that I can no longer resize my windows by dragging the corners. You can bind resizing a window to a hotkey, which I have done as a temporary fix, but it frustrates me that I can't drag the corners - except sometimes I still can. It works for Chromium, which enforces its own window border, and I think that's why. On a related note, I notice also that I can no longer drag a window to the edge of the screen and have it tile/snap to cover half the screen. Whether these two features are working or not changes depending on the window manager theme that I have. However, the snapping/tiling does not seem to have any relation to the window border as it does not work with Chromium either.

How should I go about fixing these issues? If it's possible, how can I get snapping/tiling when a window is dragged to the edge of the desktop to work without a title bar? And, can you point me to some resources regarding how to make a simple window manager theme with a window border? Or otherwise, maybe this approach isn't a good direction and I should try to figure out other software solutions for stripping the title bar?

#2 2020-04-05 13:25:18

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Most workable way to remove xfwm window title bars

Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, when you remove the borders, you also remove the ability to move windows (alot of the movement commands are dependent on the border as the anchor for the movement or for the tiling).

Have a look at the border only theme. This theme creates a 2px border around the window (no window title bar) and as a result, maintains all of the window management functionality. You can modify this theme if you want the border smaller or a different colour to match your theme.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-04-06 02:09:12

apaz

Re: Most workable way to remove xfwm window title bars

Thanks for the help, I figured that the lack of border was the issue. I'm looking into ways to modify it now, and noticing some things that I can change. That's another question though, and thanks for resolving my issue.

Board footer