Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-18 14:33:50

zezollo

[solved] Prevent xfdashboard from starting

Hello,

I have installed XFCE4 (on a brand new FreeBSD desktop). At some point I accidentally clicked on the xfdashboard icon in the menu. It tried to start but failed. No problem, as I did not want to use it.

But since then, it always starts (and crashes several times) at XFCE startup (so far I actually run it directly from ~/.xinitrc with exec startxfce4).

I've checked the xfce4-session-settings and removed the xfdashboard entry (it was actually already unchecked).

I've removed xfdashboard.desktop from ~/.config/autostart

I also unchecked the automatic session back-up and unchecked it at log out.

But it's still starting at each XFCE startup. A tangible trace of xfdashboard starting and crashing is that it leaves a xfdashboard.core (dump)  in ~.

Found solution: I found that it was called in ~/.cache/sessions/xfce4-session-myhost:0 (and in the .bak file too). I removed them and finally have been relieved from this unwished startup.

Question: why would the other steps before not have been enough? This looks like a "dirty" workaround, was there a more regular way of doing this?

Last edited by zezollo (2020-04-20 16:22:36)

#2 2020-04-18 18:34:35

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [solved] Prevent xfdashboard from starting

zezollo wrote:

Question: why would the other steps before not have been enough? This looks like a "dirty" workaround, was there a more regular way of doing this?

Xfce supports "Saved sessions" functionality. Basically, you can save all open apps and have them restart the next time you log in. Sounds good in theory but I've always received mixed results in practice. In Settings Manager > Session and Startup > Session tab, there should be a clear saved session button that should clear it out.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-04-20 16:22:19

zezollo

Re: [solved] Prevent xfdashboard from starting

Ah, OK, I didn't get this would have the same effect actually.
Well it seems that the saved session kind of interferes with the other settings: when the user changes one setting, maybe this change should be reflected in the saved session?
Anyway, next time I'll know about it.
Thank you very much!

Board footer