Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-02 08:43:15

xfceforumorg1220

Borders and scrollbars and customizing windows

The first image on the Xfce's home page shows an image of the file manager, actually all the images look nice. What is the theme,  style, or settings?

I'm currently trying Window Manager > Style Theme: Default-hdpi, which is close but not exact.
Under Application > Appearance I'm using: Style: Adwaita and  Icons: GNOME.

I require all applications to have:

1. Borders on all windows. There has to be a strong definition between a window and the desktop,  windows on top of other windows, and windows and their content.

2. Permanent and large scrollbars

3. The window that has the focus has a different color title bar.

I have the following to achieve #2:

===> cat settings.ini
[Settings]
# See: https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable … tings.html
#
gtk-primary-button-warps-slider = false
gtk_overlay_scrolling = false

===> cat gtk.css
scrollbar, scrollbar button, scrollbar slider {
  -GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: true;
  -GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: true;
  min-width: 20px;
  min-height: 20px;
  border-radius: 0;
}

slider:active:hover {
  background-color: #6d6d6d;     
}

VteTerminal, vte-terminal {
  padding: 10px;
}

Last, if I were to install KDE's Kate editor, how do I get its' scrollbars to be wider? Where do I configure KDE apps in Xfce?

Last edited by xfceforumorg1220 (2020-05-02 08:43:48)

#2 2020-05-02 12:19:53

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Borders and scrollbars and customizing windows

xfceforumorg1220 wrote:

The first image on the Xfce's home page shows an image of the file manager, actually all the images look nice. What is the theme,  style, or settings?

It looks like the Greybird GTK (Appearance) theme with the Default xfwm (Window Manager) theme. The icons look like Faenza icons.

I require all applications to have:

1. Borders on all windows. There has to be a strong definition between a window and the desktop,  windows on top of other windows, and windows and their content.

2. Permanent and large scrollbars

3. The window that has the focus has a different color title bar.

The greybird theme might not give you the definition that you are looking for and it has thin 1px borders. Feel free to look around https://www.xfce-look.org/browse/cat/135/ord/rating/ and https://www.xfce-look.org/browse/cat/138/ord/rating/ for theme ideas. If you are using a newer (GTK3-based) version of Xfce, you'll need to use a GTK3-compliant theme. More info on theming: https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/install_new_themes.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-05-04 06:42:35

xfceforumorg1220

Good info. I'll try these out and do some reading. Thank you.

What about KDE apps? Is there anything in Xfce settings that affects the way KDE apps look? For example, the wider scrollbar?

I was looking at this article, Xfce 4.16 is Adopting Client Side Decoration by Default. The article says mid June of this year.

A couple of client side decoration (CSD) questions:

1. There will be themes in CSD?

2. All applications will use the same theme?

3. All applications will obey the contents of user customizations in $HOME/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css and settings.ini?

4. I'll still be able to make any scrollbar permanent and wider, and add borders, with CSD (see #3)?

5. With CSD, the icon in the upper-left, will it expand and contain the Window management items like: Minimize, Maximize, Move to Window, Resize, Always on Top, Fullscreen, etc?

6. If there is no window title, what will Roll the Window up do?

7. Right clicking the title bar allows the user to move the window, will that work?

8. Terminal and Thuar will still have menu bars?

9. Will tools like xdotool and wmctrl still work?
Example: xdotool search --name firefox getwindowpid %@

10. Is CSD optional and turned off easily?

#4 2020-05-04 11:40:09

ToZ
Administrator

xfceforumorg1220 wrote:

What about KDE apps? Is there anything in Xfce settings that affects the way KDE apps look? For example, the wider scrollbar?

Xfce doesn't, but there should be a KDE configuration applet that you can use. Here is an Arch wiki article on creating a uniform look between GTK and QT.

I was looking at this article, Xfce 4.16 is Adopting Client Side Decoration by Default. The article says mid June of this year.

A couple of client side decoration (CSD) questions:

1. There will be themes in CSD?

Yes. They can be themed in the same manner as other GTK3 components.

2. All applications will use the same theme?

Yes. All GTK3 apps/components will continue to use the selected GTK3 theme.

3. All applications will obey the contents of user customizations in $HOME/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css and settings.ini?

Yes. All GTK3 apps/components will continue to be customized by the existing configuration files.

4. I'll still be able to make any scrollbar permanent and wider, and add borders, with CSD (see #3)?

Yes.

5. With CSD, the icon in the upper-left, will it expand and contain the Window management items like: Minimize, Maximize, Move to Window, Resize, Always on Top, Fullscreen, etc?

Mostly yes. The only one that won't work is Shade, since there is no longer a window titlebar. To get shade to work, it will need to be coded into the app by the developer.

6. If there is no window title, what will Roll the Window up do?

It won't. Shade is not currently supported.

7. Right clicking the title bar allows the user to move the window, will that work?

Yes.

8. Terminal and Thuar will still have menu bars?

That is up to the developers to decide.

9. Will tools like xdotool and wmctrl still work?
Example: xdotool search --name firefox getwindowpid %@

Yes.

10. Is CSD optional and turned off easily?

As of yet, no. See: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16375

Something else to consider is that there will be no consistency in the look between CSD and non-CSD windows if you want to change the default look (icon - title - buttons). For example, you won't be able to position the titlebar text, remove/reposition the icon or the buttons, add/remove buttons, etc.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer