Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-17 15:18:06

beje

[Feature Request] Duplicate Panel or Display Panel on multiple display

It would be very interesting to have either one of the following possibilities:

1. Possibility to choose on which display to duplicate a panel. In such a scenario a clone of the respective panel will be displayed on the selected screens. If its to complicated can be only an option to display the panel on all screens.

2. Possibility to choose a Panel and to be able to duplicate it. From the moment of duplication to be able to customize it independently. I know that here there are some limitations (for example the Keyboard Layout can be only once chosen), but the elements that cannot be duplicated should be disregarded.

Why I am asking for this? I have a working scenario involving a laptop and multiple docking station with multiple display configurations. It is a nasty chore to make panels for each display. On the other hand is also nasty to search for the main display where the panel is by default displayed. Not to mention the cases when I use the laptop without any docking station and than the panels are overlapping and I do not have for example a option to hide them (until I will need them again and to reactivate them) and then (of course then needs work to be done and not DE customization) I am deleting them in order to get on with my task, as I cannot select launchers and functions in overlapping panels...

Version 1 from above would be very nice, but as far as I saw it is coming against the actual logic of how panels are build. I saw that each item gets kind of individual ID over the entire configuration and I do not know how this could be implemented... could be very simple but I do not have the insights.

Version 2 would be the "quick and dirty" one, where delete and restore (reduplicate) would be the daily tasks.

Am I missing something here? Is there any functionality that I could use to eventually adapt my workflow and to solve my problem (outside of the above proposed variants)?

Thanks.

p.s. I am also willing to contribute if possible. I am a beginner Python scripter and if this could be turned into a project I would like to try it out. A bit of mentoring and coordination would not hurt though... :-D

#2 2020-06-17 17:27:06

eriefisher

Re: [Feature Request] Duplicate Panel or Display Panel on multiple display

I'm sure any feature add would be considered especially if some code was provided along with the request. To be considered though you would need to have a working model of such a request.

I'm not sure if I follow along with exactly what you require but adding a panel on demand is not a current feature but I'm sure it could be scripted. For instance, should you connect your laptop to dock X, as script could automatically run setting up a panel with your preferred plugins. I'm sure something could be set up that is event driven based on a particular hardware event.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

Board footer