Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-17 20:15:58

zoeh

Scroll bar issue with pcmanfm

Hello all, hoping you might be able to help me with this annoying issue

I have two PCs both running Lubuntu 16.04.6, both with xfce desktop, and I use the pcmanfm file manager on both of them.

On PC 1 it has a nice usable ordinary scroll bar which works like the scroll bars on all the other apps - there's a thumb which I can drag up and down, and if I click on the portion of the bar above/below the thumb, it jumps a page up or down.

On PC 2 though, there isn't a scroll bar, but if I mouse over the place where it should be, a floating vertical bar appears which has up- and down- arrows, and clicking those is the only way to scroll. and it's driving me mad! I want the ordinary scroll bar.

I've been trying to work out why there should be a difference. Is the thing that appears on PC2 due to some difference in the way I've set the desktop settings, or is it something I've done to pcmanfm - like for example have I accidentally made the scroll bar really narrow, so the system has popped up the maddening floating bar instead?

I have looked carefully at the other topics on here relating to scroll bars, and some of them seem to be in the same area but they don't seem to be describing the same thing I'm getting.

#2 2020-06-17 20:34:08

eriefisher

Re: Scroll bar issue with pcmanfm

Are both desktops using the same themes?
Is PcManfm the same version on both pc's?

If so then it's likely you have a different setting somewhere. You can compare the pcmanfm config file. It should be hidden somewhere in your home dorectory.

One more thing, have you made any custom gtk2 or gtk3 files in either desktop?

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#3 2020-06-18 11:50:21

zoeh

Thanks for replying. The themes are the same (and none of the theme changes I've tried on PC 2 has affected the scroll bar look).

The ~/.config/pcmanfm files are identical

There are no gtk2 or 3 files other than the ones I created while trying various possible fixed I found online.

I have tried purging pcmanfm , and re-installing; and then purging xfce4 and all related packages, and re-installing them. Neither made any difference.

Last edited by zoeh (2020-06-18 15:27:52)

#4 2020-06-18 17:15:17

ToZ
Administrator

Do you have GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING set or unset differently on the two systems:

env | grep GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING

...check both systems.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2020-06-18 22:29:45

zoeh

I did check GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING on both systems - it wasn't set on either, and changing it to =0 didn't fix PC 2.

In the end I bit the bullet and reinstalled lubuntu right from scratch, and am pleased to report I've now got proper scroll bars in pcmanfm.

Board footer