Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-22 18:48:22

fudilt

Unable to save session

Hi, the save session function is not working well.
When I log in I find the file manager correctly conserved, but all other programs that were previously opened are not displayed.
I'm using XFCE on Debian 10.
Thank you in advance.

#2 2020-06-23 00:07:03

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Unable to save session

Which applications are not being restored? For session management to work, my understanding is that the application needs to support it. If you go to Settings Manager > Session and Startup > Sessions tab, you'll see a list of applications that are supported. If the application you want to restore is not listed there, it doesn't properly support session management.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-08-11 15:02:24

beje

Hi, I am hijacking this thread as I have a similar problem. I am running an up-to-date PopOS! with XFCE installed on top of Gnome. I left the Gnome installation untouched, installed and configured XFCE, which is my daily driver. System kept nevertheless several default apps: terminal, file manager, etc. The ones that I have encountered I have updated to the XFCE equivalents.

The problem: part of the applications are not saved in the session an not restored. Until now I have noticed that the following apps are not restored: gnome-terminal and idle. Some others the same but I cannot pin point them right now.

What I have also noticed:
1. The apps that are not restored are not appearing in the "Session and Startup" -> "Current Session". So I cannot specify a "Restart Style" for them.
2. When I have changed the Gnome Terminal to XFCE Term, the later started be restored.

Where could I check why this apps are not added to the Current Session?

Thanks!

#4 2020-08-11 21:50:54

ToZ
Administrator

My understanding is very high level. Have a read through this thread for more information. A couple of developers had posted there about session management.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2020-08-12 11:12:46

beje

Thank you! I will dive into it!

Edit: I have read into the thread, but I have difficulties believing that the gnome applications have not the session protocols implemented...

right now I have fired up the gnome files just to check it and it is not appearing in the Session apps... I think this is more a PopOS! thing with how XFCE is packaged there... I will have a try on Xubuntu just to cross check this...

Last edited by beje (2020-08-12 11:38:38)

#6 2020-08-12 12:19:25

ToZ
Administrator

This looks interesting and related.

Edit:
Updated link to point to gitlab instead.

Last edited by ToZ (2020-08-12 12:20:20)

#7 2020-08-12 19:15:01

beje

for such things got to love Linux... /s
the easy solution in this case: go back to Xubuntu (I still need to check if there the bug is not present)...
another solution: remove gnome from my actual installation (and eventually reinstall XFCE or missing dependencies after removal of gnome)... this is not wished because some of the feature of PopOS I have only in Gnome (like the firmware updater... got to check if I can do this from command line with fwupdate). Nevertheless I have the feeling this will cripple Popos as its Gnome based
another user friendly XFCE based distro in debian universe is difficult to find as I do not want to go to Mint (its nice but its not my beer)...
and the last one: live with it, take a deep breath and dive in trying to understand all the dependencies and see if I can figure a workaround...

... if I would only have the time... probably I can play less? ... hmmm

pfuuuu

Thanks @ToZ I will report back if I will have any progress...

Board footer