Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-04 08:49:04

401toffees

How to change font size with right-click 'open with Vim' option

Hi,

new user and still learning Linux, so go easy :-)  Just installed Kali with xfce.  Using vim from terminal the font is the same size as my terminal screen (as expected).  When I try to right-click a file in the file explorer and select 'open with vim', the font is incredibly small.  How can I change this?

Thanks

#2 2020-07-04 12:05:57

eriefisher

Re: How to change font size with right-click 'open with Vim' option

Try, from the terminal:

vim /path/to/file

A new user and you made the choice of Vim! Myself, I keep things simple and stick with nano. Does what I need it to.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#3 2020-07-04 12:10:57

ToZ
Administrator

Hello and welcome.

"Open with Vim" should open the file in your default terminal and use that terminal's preferences (e.g font size).

Is the same terminal application being used in both scenarios? Check to see what your default terminal is in Settings Manager > Preferred Applications and make sure it is the same as the one you are using.

Otherwise, you can edit the vim menu entry and change the command to (assuming it is xfce4-terminal that you want to use) to:

xfce4-terminal -x "vim %F"

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2020-07-04 20:13:35

401toffees

Thanks for responding.  It seems my default terminal in Kali xfce is qterminal, and when I right-click a file and select 'open with Vim', its Xterm.   How can I change the right-click behavior to use qterminal?

*edit* just realised you had answered in the same post (doh!).  I tried running xfce4-terminal -x "vim %F" but got a xfce4-terminal: command not found error.

*edit 2* I installed xfce-terminal using "sudo apt-get install xfce4-terminal" and then re-ran xfce4-terminal -x "vim %F".  Although it threw an error, I'm now getting the right terminal when right-clicking a file.

Last edited by 401toffees (2020-07-05 01:07:02)

#5 2020-07-04 20:30:35

ToZ
Administrator

401toffees wrote:

Thanks for responding.  It seems my default terminal in Kali xfce is qterminal, and when I right-click a file and select 'open with Vim', its Xterm.   How can I change the right-click behavior to use qterminal?

Make sure that qterminal is set as the default terminal in Settings Manager > Preferred Applications.

*edit* just realised you had answered in the same post (doh!).  I tried running xfce4-terminal -x "vim %F" but got a xfce4-terminal: command not found error.

If xfce4-terminal is not installed, qterminal might have a similar parameter that you can pass a command to. Check the man file.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2020-07-05 01:09:24

401toffees

Thanks.  Fixed :-)

Board footer