Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-04 15:03:33

nPHYN1T3

Panel export/restore loses settings / wrong screens on start

So there are 2 issues here. Every time I login I have to manually place 1 of my 3 panels. Basically 1 panel per XScreen. For whatever reason panel 0 starts in the correct place, panel 2 starts in the correct place, panel 1 does not! Panel 1 starts on the same XScreen as Panel 0.

So I thought I'd back up my panels, then make a config for each and launch on the correct screen with the correct settings on login rather than allow the session to restore things wrong.

What I've found is the backup and restore for panels does the same thing as logging in, places panel 1 on the wrong XScreen and worse it loses all my panel item settings and configs.

I've looked at the saved config file and the P X and Y seems correct but are ignored or the system is unable to adhere to them.

/panels/panel-0/position 'p=2;x=4807;y=1113'
/panels/panel-1/position 'p=8;x=4807;y=1056'
/panels/panel-2/position 'p=4;x=1211;y=996'

So I have 3 XScreens
XScreen 0 3 screens bottom 5760x1080
XScreen 1 3 screens top 5760x1080
XScreen 2 1 screen top/left 1280x1024 (panel 2)

Panel 0 and 1 are basically stacked on top of each other 1 on the top 3 screen 0 on the lower 3 both on the far right most screens.

As a side note I suspect the fact the panel for XScreen 0.1 starts on the wrong XScreen has been causing GPU crashes for me. It also renders things wrong. So if you have "draw a box around hovered item" selected for Window Buttons on the panel it draws the boxes on the wrong XScreen.

Last edited by nPHYN1T3 (2020-08-04 15:05:54)

#2 2020-08-04 19:42:27

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Panel export/restore loses settings / wrong screens on start

Are there any error messages in your log files when this happens (Xorg.0.log, .xsession-errors, journal)?

What I've found is the backup and restore for panels does the same thing as logging in, places panel 1 on the wrong XScreen and worse it loses all my panel item settings and configs.

Try running it from the command prompt to see if it generates any errors:

xfce4-panel-profiles load <filename>

I've looked at the saved config file and the P X and Y seems correct but are ignored or the system is unable to adhere to them.

/panels/panel-0/position 'p=2;x=4807;y=1113'
/panels/panel-1/position 'p=8;x=4807;y=1056'
/panels/panel-2/position 'p=4;x=1211;y=996'

If p = 2,4,6 or 8, the panel is positioned in a corner and the x&y values are ignored. See https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=9499 for slightly more info.

This may require more extensive debugging because it looks like you have an outside use case.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-08-04 19:59:09

nPHYN1T3

Sadly this is my "inside" use case, which is a joke because before I posted about how only being able to set size/length by % screws everything on my array of screens. Still does but I learned to cope with the *h*ty GPU locked programs and went without Xinerama.

-Side note part of the issue previously was a screw up in X where it had Xinerama set for to 3 screens but then also all screens. So it was a group, grouped. So basically it saw top 3 screens as a single screen, grouped with 3 below. However with that fixed xfwm still screws up too much thus I learned to cope being GPU locked.

I did try doing some things from term eventually but not the restoring of panels and I'd rather not because if/when it screws everything up I have to redo everything which is more than I'd care to redo. I even took a backup of my .config/xfce/panel folder and tossed it in there after actually killing panel and then fired it back up...nope all items were screwed up. Basics were there but still a huge PITA.

When you say positioned on a corner do you mean of the total screen size?, a specific screen?, is that defined by the left or right side of the panel?

* went back and checked my original post and comically you had responded about how the % based width screws things up for odd number screen widths.

Perhaps I will try using the panel restore from cli tomorrow. I'm way too tired and dealing with other code issues, still need to lift and it's already past zzzz time.

Last edited by nPHYN1T3 (2020-08-04 20:08:33)

#4 2020-08-04 20:35:02

ToZ
Administrator

nPHYN1T3 wrote:

When you say positioned on a corner do you mean of the total screen size?, a specific screen?, is that defined by the left or right side of the panel?

It would be for a Xscreen, I believe. If positioned in a corner, then the panel properties width (length) and height (row size) determine the size.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2020-08-04 20:38:47

nPHYN1T3

So what in the settings denotes the Xscreen, I mean the first and last panels remember/adhere to their XScreen, so why the hell doesn't the middle panel?

I can appreciate xfce is "light" i.e. lacks the bells and whistles/complexity of say gnome or cinnamon but this seems like some basic position and size info being omitted that shouldn't be and wouldn't add overhead to the system to have/adhere to. I mean #1 just adhere to the XY at all times and add a single integer to denote XScreen and it's gold. XScreen => XY => Width in px.

**Update: I resized the offending panel to the stupid 33% which won't fill the screen correctly (i.e. my original post https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=13665) then tossed it the -r. It relaunched on the correct Xscreen and monitor/screen. So basically once again the lack of pixel width and strange logic to ignore XY if Z condition is met simply breaks the panels ability to cope with multi screen/Xscreen setups. WEEEEE

Last edited by nPHYN1T3 (2020-08-04 21:03:24)

#6 2020-08-04 21:17:00

ToZ
Administrator

Looks like we've come full circle.

#7 2020-08-04 21:21:03

nPHYN1T3

More like a figure 8 ;p

I'd like to say I wish my C was up to snuff I might try to jerry rig a patch but doesn't mean they'd accept it.

Either way I've come to the same problem via different avenues. I still fail to see how this isn't a valid feature request.

Last edited by nPHYN1T3 (2020-08-04 21:24:55)

Board footer