Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-08 02:42:27

mint4all

XFWM4 -- .png vs. .xpm bitmaps [Solved]

I've been looking into how xfce's window decorations are being "themed". It would appear that in the settings manager's "Window Manager" option, the only themes that are listed are those that contain a "XFWM4" folder. That folder contains a collection of various bitmaps (depending on a particular theme), and a "themerc" file that seems to have no relationship to the content of those betmaps, and even then, only the placement of a few of them.

My question: which bitmaps does the window manager use to compose the window decorations ... the .png images, or the .xpm c-source files? I inderstand that the .xpm format is ancient and comes in several editions/revisions, but what's the window manager's preference, .png vs. .xpm? Thanks for looking into this...

Last edited by mint4all (2020-08-08 23:32:51)

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#2 2020-08-08 02:49:21

ToZ
Administrator

Re: XFWM4 -- .png vs. .xpm bitmaps [Solved]

Xfwm supports both - there is no preference. It's described in detail here. I've seen themes with just xpm elements, with just png elements, and with a combination of both.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-08-08 23:32:28

mint4all

Re: XFWM4 -- .png vs. .xpm bitmaps [Solved]

ToZ wrote:

Xfwm supports both - there is no preference. It's described in detail here. I've seen themes with just xpm elements, with just png elements, and with a combination of both.

Thanks a bunch for the explanation, and the link. I got quite confused finding those assorted .png and .xpm images in a given theme. Interestingly, i yet have to find a theme where there's a 100% match between both types even though they are intended to complement one another (adding ie. transparency to a bitmap's basic color scheme).

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

Board footer