Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-13 13:00:31

Faith_healer

Unable to create a new partition

Hi,

I installed Mint xface to get rid of Windows 10 in my 10 yrs old laptop. This puts my old laptop on steroids.

I did not create partitions during installation. Now, I am booting from USB > Opening Gparted > Deactivating the /dev.sda1 partition > Trying to resize to create unallocated space.

It is allowing me to resize only by 41 mb. Please see the image: https://ibb.co/Tg1qQDf   

I am new, I may be doing something wrong.

Any help will be much appreciated, I don't want to reinstall.

Regards,

#2 2020-08-13 14:36:48

alcornoqui

Re: Unable to create a new partition

Hello and welcome to the forum.

It seems as you have made your installation in a LVM partition (see the Flags column).

I've never used them, so I can't speak from experience, but it seems like GParted can't shrink LVM partitions. I see mentions of a graphical tool, system-config-lvm, but it might be outdated (this question, How can I resize an LVM partition? (i.e: physical volume) mentions it in their answers, along with a command line method).

A couple more resources on LVM:
- Configure LVM on Linux Mint
- What is Logical Volume Management and How Do You Enable It in Ubuntu?

Take a look and tell us how it goes!

#3 2020-08-13 15:58:45

Faith_healer

alcornoqui wrote:

Hello and welcome to the forum.

- Configure LVM on Linux Mint

Thanks for your reply. This link is somehow working and the steps are followable. But the same thing is happening. It is not allowing me to specify a value biger than 40mb.

#4 2020-08-13 20:10:48

MrEen

Not that it'll change the situation at all, but don't you want the free space to be following instead of preceding? Trying to shrink from the front of a partition like you're attempting there can be laborious.

#5 2020-08-14 14:13:02

Faith_healer

I don't mind if the partition is before or after. I just want the boot partition to be separate. It's not allowing any type of partition.

Board footer