Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-30 23:56:16

darenw

How to quickly change background color of Thunar's file pane?

Thunar has been may main file manager for many years. The design is 100% fine by me, until today when I opened a folder with  over 20 PNG images with white letters on transparent background.  Thunar's background is white, so the thumbnails show as nothing.  Is there a quick easy way to change the background to some other color, or a gray checkerboard pattern, or anything but white?   

I don't want to edit .gtkrc or some other config file. This is just for a minute or two while I look over these files in this one folder, just this one time. I don't want to change background colors in the other instances of Thunar up in other workspaces, or in new instance brought up in the future.

I'm using Arch Linux, recently updated, with icewm.

#2 2020-10-01 12:03:50

denyer
Website

Re: How to quickly change background color of Thunar's file pane?

Doubtful except by switching the whole DE momentarily to a dark theme. Thunar isn't much of an image previewer. Personally I added a custom menu action to launch an image browser (eg XnViewMP).

#3 2020-10-02 07:53:55

alcornoqui

Hi Daren.

Perhaps you can make it happen, but you'll have to work out some details yourself (or maybe someone chimes in).

My idea would be to look at this thread, get the appropiate ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css lines, and then bind a keyboard combo to a script that toggles that property on and off.

In the thread there's a mention of not requiring Thunar to restart, so I think it could work like you want...

Well, just an idea, sorry for not being able to add the implementation details, let us know what you think!

#4 2020-10-02 10:50:23

ToZ
Administrator

Unfortantely, @denyer is correct. There is no way to do this live - you need to restart thunar (and it's daemon if its running) to get it to re-read the css.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2020-10-02 11:21:39

alcornoqui

Well, there goes my great idea, thanks for clarifying!

Board footer