Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-14 17:37:49

cjsmall

Missing menubar in LibreOffice

Xubuntu 20.04
LibreOffice 5,6,7

LibreOffice refuses to display the Menubar (File, Edit, ...).  This is the only app that exhibits this problem.  I've discussed this on the LibreOffice forum and while it is a fairly common problem, there doesn't seem to be a known answer.  Some people seem to think it is related to GTK, others suggest it is an interference problem with indicator-appmenu.

I uninstalled the indicator-appmenu package, but this did not restore the menus.  There do not appear to be any rogue LibreOffice UI packages installed.  I deleted the entire config directory under ~/.config/libreoffice/ and restarted LibreOffice so that it was rebuilt from scratch and still no menubar.

Does anyone here know about this problem and have a suggestion as to what is wrong?  Thanks.

Edit:  I just discovered that the lost menubar problem is not restricted to LibreOffice, but also occurs on the Clementine music player, so this seems to be a more generalized Xubuntu problem, and not specific to LibreOffice.

The menubar is showing up in other apps such as xfce4-terminal, Firefox, Geeqie, GIMP, Nemo, QEMU, etc.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Last edited by cjsmall (2020-10-15 04:05:00)

#2 2020-10-15 14:21:52

cjsmall

Re: Missing menubar in LibreOffice

I uninstalled the indicator-appmenu package and rebooted.  This resolved the problem.  I'll file a bug report against it.

Is this package used for anything in xfce4, or is this specific to gnome only?

#3 2020-10-15 20:23:32

ToZ
Administrator

cjsmall wrote:

Xfce4 does not require this package for any of its components. It is part of a solution to bring mac-like global menus to linux - perhaps you tried that solution?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2020-10-15 22:10:58

cjsmall

Thanks.  I don't think I ever installed it explicitly.  As far as I know, it's been there since the early days of Ubuntu 14 or 15?  It may have also gotten installed as a dependency for another package, but if so, I was not aware when it happened.  I never tried to emulate anything Mac-like.

#5 2022-01-08 18:46:09

LucMorizur

cjsmall wrote:

I uninstalled the indicator-appmenu package and rebooted.  This resolved the problem.  I'll file a bug report against it.

Many thanks cjsmall! I just spent a couple of hours uninstalling, re-installing, deleting libroffice config files...

The only info I can bring here is that t happens that I installed Clementine package not so far ago, but I have the feeling I used LibreOffice since this installation, and normally speaking I wouldn't have used any software without noticing that the menu bar had disappeared.

Thanks!

Board footer