Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-16 18:54:39

mint4all

[Solved] Power- and Network-manager notification-icon sizes

In one of my upgraded laptops (to xfce 4.14), the button sizes in the panel's notification area are all messed up. Under gtk2, this was never a problem. Now, with the migration to gtk3, most of the buttons must be resized individually to achieve a uniform appearance. I've done this with pulseaudio-button, rythmbox-buttton, blueberry-tray-button,  and the xfce4-notification-plugin.

Somehow, the power-manager-plugin-button fails to scale to my 0.7 factor. Does this plugin have a different internal name? Or is there some other way to resize this plugin's button to fit in with the others? Thanks for looking into this.

Cheers, m4a

PS: the network manager's button is also out of wack -- way too small, and s/b upscaled to 1.3 or so. What is its internal name?

Last edited by mint4all (2020-11-21 01:07:59)

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#2 2020-11-17 01:41:16

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Power- and Network-manager notification-icon sizes

mint4all wrote:

Somehow, the power-manager-plugin-button fails to scale to my 0.7 factor. Does this plugin have a different internal name? Or is there some other way to resize this plugin's button to fit in with the others? Thanks for looking into this.

The internal name is xfce4-power-manager-plugin. I use the following to scale that icon:

#xfce4-power-manager-plugin > box > image { -gtk-icon-transform: scale(0.8); }

PS: the network manager's button is also out of wack -- way too small, and s/b upscaled to 1.3 or so. What is its internal name?

This one will be dependent on the container widget. Are you using the notification area, status tray, or indicator plugin? I believe you can size them through the plugin properties.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2020-11-17 16:53:12

mint4all

Thank you very much! That worked like a charm.

Because of the functional inconstencies between the "Notification Area", "status Tray" and Mint's "Xapp Status Plugin", i am only using the "Notification Area" plugin. Although it has its own button-size option, the network manager applet's button (wifi in this case) is approx. 25% smaller than the other buttons displayed in this "box". I'd like to not only upsize this, but also recolor it so as to visually stand out. I am still puzzled why this is so complicated now when it worked just fine out of the box under xfce 4.12 ... I know, gtk2 vs. gtk3, but still ...

Thanks again for terrific help -- awesome!

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#4 2020-11-17 17:23:36

ToZ
Administrator

See: https://gitlab.xfce.org/panel-plugins/x … -/issues/2. It would appear that the icon itself is the problem.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2020-11-21 01:06:49

mint4all

Thanks for the link to that bug report. Alas, the move towards using symbolic icons and gtk3 complicates this issue even more. So here's what i did to figure out an acceptable (to me) decent-looking workaround: the icon set i am using is "Obsidian", v3.51 installed from the ubuntu repos. The network-related icons (wifi) in the notification are plugin appear to come from  that icon set's "status" collection, 32x32 .png & non-symbolic.

What obscured that fact was the notification-area's background color which was that panel;'s default setting of "none (use system style)" which was set to Mint-Y-Dark-Sand (a near-black default background). By changing that panel's background color to "Solid color" and chosing a dark-grey tone, the network icon's background now stood out as its originalal black background. The wifi icon now displays nicely squared up with the other neighboring icons, and of roughly the same size (Panel 38 px, notification area 32 px, nm-status-icon 32x32px).

Problem solved for now. I truly appreciate your directions and insights!

Cheers, m4a

Board footer